Can You Trust An Email ?

Options
Just been on the phone to a DCA. They offered to reduce my amount owed from £8000 to £6000 if I paid within 7 days. They sent me an email confirming this. It is an email from their official email address.

Two questions :

1 : Can they go back on this if I pay the 6k within 7 days ?

2 : If they do is the email legally binding ?

Help please !!

Comments

• LookingAhead
    LookingAhead Posts: 4,633 Forumite
    Options
    I think it is legally binding but you may wish to check with the CAB.
    Keep the email and print a copy in the meantime!
    Bank Balance: In the black for the moment.
    Sainsburys Loan: Cleared July 2010
    Credit cards: AMEX Airmiles Card: direct debit set to clear balance monthly
  • file_wizzard
    Options
    I think it is legally binding but you may wish to check with the CAB.
    Keep the email and print a copy in the meantime!
    Technically under the electronic communications act it is enforceable, however for the sake of waiting day or two you are far better off getting a signed offer in the mail, and then most importantly making the payment via a 3rd party so that no futher claims may be made.
    :rolleyes: It’s hard enough remembering my opinions - without remembering my reasons for them :rolleyes:
  • idiot_3
    idiot_3 Posts: 136 Forumite
    Options
    Also make sure it is in full and final settlement, so they can't come after you afterwards for more. This will also ensure the debt is marked satisfied on your credit record.
  • Money-come-lately
    Options
    Hi, yes it is marked as full and final settlement in the email.

Also, if I send it via recorded delivery will that prove that they recieved it?
  • Dr.Shoe_2
    Dr.Shoe_2 Posts: 1,028 Forumite
    Options
    Yes it will. You can request a POD (proof of delivery) from Royal Mail.

Incidently, any agreement you make with anyone is legally binding, the trick is is proving it. In the case of Emails, you have proof.
    [strike]-£20,000[/strike] 0!
  • file_wizzard
    Options
    Dr.Shoe wrote:
    Incidently, any agreement you make with anyone is legally binding, the trick is is proving it. In the case of Emails, you have proof.
    Technically yes, but in cases such as this you must be careful to make payment via a 3rd party, if you pay directly even with an offer of “FULL & FINAL” the creditor can lawfully pursue you for the rest of the account in the future.
    :rolleyes: It’s hard enough remembering my opinions - without remembering my reasons for them :rolleyes:
  • nomoneytoday
    Options
    Its because they would rather have £6000 now in their pocket and close the case, rather than £2 a week for the next 12 years...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure