We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Helping out a friend - what are the risks ?

Options
2»

Comments

• InMyDreams
    Options
    I think your friend should be very touched but absolutely horrified to think that you would seriously consider putting yourself at such risk as to become financially associated with someone who is not your immediate family or even your partner. Even getting a mortgage with someone who is one of those things can end in horror stories - you only have to read some of the threads on this forum to see what sort of things can go wrong. (And actually, if you went down this route, wouldn't you have to be living in the property too for a residential mortgage to apply?)

As for independently going down the BTL route... this is also not without it's (huge) risks. Would you even consider this if it was not to help your friend out? These are big decisions that could have serious effects on your financial circumstances for the rest of your life. The fact that in the short term you might be able to help out your friend and his current partner should have negligible bearing on whether you embark on a BTL business, however short you think the term is.

If you are in the position of being able to buy a house and think it is a financially sensible thing to do (no comment) then why aren't you doing it for yourself rather than for a mate's partner?
  • GMS
    GMS Posts: 5,388 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    quixonte wrote: »
    This is eating me up inside.....

What if, its changed to a buy-to-let and I have sole ownership ?

As others have said it is not your problem

As for Buy to Let. New build flats are not top of BTL lenders prperty lists so you would not be able to get a mortgage as easily as you think.

Why risk your cash? New build flats are almost always vastly overpriced and you are in grave danger of losing your cash.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • chalkie99
    chalkie99 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Absolutely DO NOT do it!

Remember a friend in need is a PITA. It will end in tears. I am sure there is a big thread on here somewhere about lending money to friends who are now ex-friends.
  • Jenniefour
    Jenniefour Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Look after your own long term interests - as has been pointed out, should you help out your friends in the ways you are suggesting you are taking action which is immediately fraught with potential extremely serious problems and will affect you for the rest of your life. Your desire to assist your friends is laudible - but do not do anything makes their problem yours.
  • epsilondraconis
    Options
    You definitely need to seek legal advice if you are planning on going through with this.

I hope you heed the advice you have already received on here because it is always saddening when the good guy ends up with the shi**y end of the stick.
  • quixonte
    Options
    Hopefully he hasn't exchanged and it is just a small reservation fee at risk- I hadn't thought of that.

I am going to be chicken and hope my current lender will have issues with this, will make saying no easier.

thanks for your comments everyone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport