How long does an offer usually stay in place?

Options
As above really, if we go down the road of trying to move anytime soon (i posted a thread a few days ago re credit history). If I could successfully get a mortgage offer from someone, what kind of time limit do they generally have on them - and can you get them extended if you're not quite ready?

Comments

• Senior_Paper_Monitor
    Options
    Generally 3 - 6 months from offer to completion (extension usually possible if valid reason can be demonstrated, but not always and limited extension offered)
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • advic_2
    Options
    One more equally novice question. The place we're particularly interested in has an asking price of £250k and we have £50k equity in the current house + around £5k cash. Ignoring the small amount of cash (which id plan to be using for stamp duty, fees etc), id expect my starting point to be trying to get a mortgage offer for £200k. However, I would also expect to negotiate down the £250k asking price to a lesser amount. What happens in this instance, would I have to go back and re-apply for a new mortgage at the lower amount or would the original offer be revised downwards by the lender?
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Options
    Get the mortgage agreed for the higher amount, and then anything lower should be fine.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Mrs_Z
    Mrs_Z Posts: 1,105 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    No, you would not need to re-apply - they would make an amendment. We recently had this with a flat that we're buying, once we got the survey results, we revised our offer £3k downwards, which was accepted by the vendor. The lender was notified and they just issued a letter to confirm the new amount. The sale then proceeded from there as normal.
  • advic_2
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure