Abbey/Santander - backdated demand for interest

Options
I have had a mortgage with the Abbey since 1982, I have always paid by Direct Debit and never defaulted (i.e. paid the amount they have calculated as being due).
Now they claim I am in arrears by £222 because of "accrued interest from when the account was first opened" and "also when there has been either an increase oe decrease in the interest rates ......... the monthly repayment for that month were not fully met in line with the revised amount." Then they have the gall to state " there is a fee of £20.00 per annaum if you require a full payment breakdown". Needless to say I am a tad miffed at this and wonder if any kind sol out ther has any suggestions on the way forward? thanks

Comments

• maninthestreet
    Options
    This is a 28 year old mortgage??
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Back in 1982 the monthly repayment method would almost certainly have been standing order. This meant you had to manually inform the bank every time the payments changed. Often people missed a change. So, it was not uncommon even until the mid 90s to see those on standing order payments overpay or under pay without realising it.

There was a tolerance normally applied because it was common. Its possible that you have now exceeded that tolerance.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure