enough is enough, head out of sand!!!!

Options
hello all!!
I have finally decided enough is enough and starting to tackle some of these debts. Here's a bit about me. I'm Lisa, 25 married to Paul, 27. We have been together since Oct 04, and got married march 10. We have a daughter Maggie who was born Oct 06 and a son Shaun who was born July 07. There is a 9month gap. Not planned. Didn't know I was pregnant with Shaun until I was 17 weeks, and then he was born at 35weeks.

We have a few debts, ok QUITE a few lol. We are currently on Debt Management Plan for the most of them, which is helping a LOT!!! In the last 3 months we have paid off the sofa, the Studio Cards account and the Very account, which felt very good :D

I have arranged for my wages, the child tax credits and the child benefit to be paid into my bank account, which is will be used for bills etc. And Paul's wages will get paid into the joint account which is used for rent, housekeeping and the council tax arrears payment.

i have got a a4 2011 diary so we can write down whats coming in, whats going out, and any authorastion numbers from card payments. as we paid the electricity over the phone, didnt write the authorsation number down and a week later we got a letter saying the payment was declined :mad:

Now off to try to add up all the debts and see how much we owe _pale_
Total Debt - £30,814.90 at 12/2/2016
Total Paid £993.24 = 3.22% at 29/04/2016
2 debts of 20 paid off

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Lisa

Welcome to DFW.

Are you in an organised Debt management plan? Who are you for it? - is it a charity or a commercial company that is charging you a fee? If the latter have you considerd switching to a charity?

How is working out the 'scary number' going? Its always horrid when you start to count everything up but it really is necessary so you can start to work out how soon you might be able to get debt free.

Good luck
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • LPMS
    LPMS Posts: 89 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Tixy! It is a commercial company, but their customer service is brilliant, keep us updated with every little thing, send us monthly statements. Often phone us just to see if everything is ok. I would much rather let someone who really needs the charities help have my space. The debt is currently totally £15,217.63. In April we had paid £400 to various debts, if we carry on like this they should all be gone in just over 38months, so I am feeling quite confident.

However things are going to crop up i.e. 2nd year of college fees in September, then 3 years of Uni, driving lessons for myself, and a car so I can get to uni.

But atm, it's looking positive

xx
    2 debts of 20 paid off
  • LPMS
    Options
    since my first post in Novemeber we have paid off gas and electric arrears and the car hire purchase :j:j
    2 debts of 20 paid off
  • mummytogirls
    mummytogirls Posts: 6,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Afternoon LPMS!

Well done paying off what you have so far!! Keep coming back and updating us! I also have a DD born late 06, shes got a real attitude on her at the mo :eek:!!

Catch up soon x
    Mummytogirls x

• LPMS
    Options
    My 2 too. Maggie wasnt too bad this morning. I sent Shaun up to get his school uniform after 20mins he comes down with a jumper, a yellow t-shirt with animals on, a pair of socks with a huge hole in. I feel like giving up lol. And as for my poor living room. Hurricane MaggieShaun as once again hit :(
    2 debts of 20 paid off
  • LPMS
    Options
    ARGH!! Banks do my flaming head in!! I have a little a5 folder in which I write everything we spend, which shops, how much, when etc. and there is £2 exactly missing. Which is probably Amazon holding there random £1 and stuff but it's annoying.

And why do they take forever for card transactions to show up. I hate banks. If we could get paid cash I soooooo would!!!
    2 debts of 20 paid off
  • mummytogirls
    mummytogirls Posts: 6,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi LPMS, Asda do the same with the £1 holding :mad: xx
    Mummytogirls x

• choogirl
    choogirl Posts: 1,274 Forumite
    Options
    Hi LPMS

Thought I'd pop by as you posted on my diary yesterday. I have 2 kids as well, they're 8 and 10 so I sympathise with the whirlwind effect that kids have.

You seem to be organised and have a plan in place.

Good luck xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport