🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

NTL - this is why I'm in debt!!

Options
I got my credit report and found that NTL have recorded that I've been 2 months in arrears. Phoned them up and discovered that I owed them £122 and it had been written off. This was from 3 years ago. I knew it was rubbish as I remembered cancelling the contract. NTL have admitted to me that it is an error, and they are trying to correct it on my credit report, although this is taking ages.

My point is that in the last 3 years I have been rejected for loans and credit increases,all of which would have helped to manage my debt better. I assume my APRs on my current credit cards and one loan reflect my 'false' credit status.

Do I get a solicitor and look at compensation? I've been branded an outlaw for 3 years!

Comments

• chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would suggest that a solicitor might be a bit OTT. But once NTL have amended your credit file, then maybe you can send a letter with a copy of the amended page/score, and ask to see whether they will lower your interest rate.

If you were thinking of getting compensation of NTL, then I would think you would have to prove that you have been disadvantaged.

chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • MasterBell_2
    Options
    I think he means that he cancelled the account, this is where the problem arose,
    as said about compensation, how could you put a figure on it, as you werent approved... dont mean to sound harsh, and it is unfair.
    i think it unlikely that you would be able to get anything solicitor or not.
    Gotta buy a ticket to win the raffle
  • stebiz
    stebiz Posts: 6,590 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    go4it wrote:
    I got my credit report and found that NTL have recorded that I've been 2 months in arrears. Phoned them up and discovered that I owed them £122 and it had been written off. This was from 3 years ago. I knew it was rubbish as I remembered cancelling the contract. NTL have admitted to me that it is an error, and they are trying to correct it on my credit report, although this is taking ages.

My point is that in the last 3 years I have been rejected for loans and credit increases,all of which would have helped to manage my debt better. I assume my APRs on my current credit cards and one loan reflect my 'false' credit status.

Do I get a solicitor and look at compensation? I've been branded an outlaw for 3 years!

I can accept your annoyance. However the first thing a judge would say is 'why when you have been rejected and you get a letter suggesting you check your credit file - did you not do so?' I'm not having a 'go' honest just saying how it is!!

Stebiz
    Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    you have three choices as i see it:

a. sue for libel ...very very expensive and very very high risk ..my view just dont go there

b. small claims court for loss.....cheap but you need to establish exactly the loss was.

c. try for a goodwill payment ...try to calculate loss but be seasonable.

just my view...i'm not a lawyer

but if not you have been badly treated but just move on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport