We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Help a newbie please with freezing veg

Hi everyone, as you can see I am new to this site, but love reading everyones ideas and how you all help each other, and I am learning so much, wish I found you all years ago.

Could you please advise me on the best way to freezer vegetables, do you cook them first or leave them uncooked before you pop them in the freezer.

Thanks :D
I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. :)

Weight loss 3 stone :D

Comments

  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,635 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi sunflower,

    Welcome! :)

    I think it depends on the veg and how long are intending to keep them frozen for on whether or not you need to blanch. Some I prefer to blanch and some I don't bother because I don't think it makes a difference. Is there any particular vegetable that you have in mind?

    This thread has some advice that may help:

    Freezing vegetables

    I'll add your thread to that one, once you've had more replies.

    Pink
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    I like to blanch the veg first in boiling water for about a minute, as I think it sort of sterilises them! any dirt etc is then rendered harmless! I then cool them down under the cold tap and put into freezer bags, sealed and flattened out and put in the fast freeze in my freezer. I flatten the bags out cos they take up less space that way! and freeze faster.
    when I want to cook the veg they first get slammed onto the kitchen floor to break them up then plunged into boiling water with the salt added and cooked for about three minutes less than if they were fresh! dunno why that is when they only had a minutes cooking but - thats what i have found if you want them still al dente! oh and DONT add salt to the blanching water! stops them freezing properly!
  • Sunflower1227
    Sunflower1227 Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    edited 7 November 2010 at 11:21PM
    Hi sunflower,

    Welcome! :)

    Is there any particular vegetable that you have in mind?

    Pink

    Just the usual, leeks, carrots etc.

    Had a look at the link, its great, thanks Pink
    I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. :)

    Weight loss 3 stone :D
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,635 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Just the usual, leeks, carrots etc.

    Had a look at the link, its great, thanks Pink

    Carrots I always chop and blanch....no idea why, but I do. Probably because I normally use them in casseroles/stews. With leeks I chop, open freeze on a tray, then pop them into a bag. Open freezing means they don't stick together which means I can use as many as I want at a time ...again no idea why I don't blanch them, but that's the way my Mum used to do it. Also I tend to use leeks up quite quickly whereas carrots can hang around in my freezer for months. :o

    These threads have more opinions:

    Freezing carrots

    Can I freeze fresh leeks?

    If you have any other veg you need help with, post them into this thread and I'm sure someone will come up with advice.

    Pink
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hiya,

    Personally, I don't blanch anything, just chop up into the sized you want, I prefer long sticks IYSWIM, rather than discs but its up to you.

    I just put into a freezer bag and put in freezer. If I get anymore, I just add these to the existing bag. - No need to use another one ;):D
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.