We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Eggs/Quiche/freezing

Hi all,

Three questions in one..

I have 7 free range eggs use by 2nd November, they still sink in water and look fine (well the shells do). I was thinking about making some mini quiches with them and some leeks, ham and then freezing them.

As the eggs are out of the supposed life and I have never made a quiche before I could do with some advice.

One - Is it a good idea to use older eggs this way?
Two - Will I need to blind/par bake my pastry first?
Three -Will they freeze ok?

Oh and any super simple (milk free) quiche recipes will be much appreciated.

Thanks all in advance,

Sarah x
GC 2011
Jan £43.45/£40.00 Feb £55.14/£55.00 Mar £64.88/£120
I MUST KEEP POSITIVE!!
:A Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted (John Lennon) :A


Comments

  • emiff6
    emiff6 Posts: 794 Forumite
    500 Posts
    If the eggs sink and lie flat, then they are good for another week at least in the fridge, as long as you dried them off again. If they sink but sit on their points upright, then they do need using fairly soon. Older eggs are fine in any cooking. (They are also much easier to peel when hard boiled, than really fresh eggs).

    I always blind bake pastry cases for quiche, otherwise the egg mix tends to soak into the pastry.

    To keep the pastry base really crisp, after blind baking them I paint the inside of the pastry case with egg white and pop back in the oven for 5 minutes. This seals the pastry so no moisture from the filling soaks in at all.

    I have frozen quiches successfully, but I've never made one without milk, so can't help there.
    If I'm over the hill, where was the top?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.