Early-retirement wannabe

Options

Comments

• DancingBadger
    Options
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    Wow, I might not even need to be back in after Christmas, or if I do, just with a van to clear my office!

Hold on to the moment, then look back and savour it. It's the most fantastic feeling. :D
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A van? What do you have in your office lol.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    Wow, I might not even need to be back in after Christmas, or if I do, just with a van to clear my office!

Wow, well done!:T It must be such a great feeling, I can't wait!
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,469 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    penwise wrote: »
    Who are the F.I.R.E. Community ?

Everyone who doesn't want to be at work and has figured out how to get away without a lottery win :)
  • OldMusicGuy
    Options
    Congratulations! I have 11 weeks to go (including about 2 weeks of Xmas holidays) and am winding down now.
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,093 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How many others are finding the biggest obstacle to the possibility of early retirement is their other half? :o:D
  • alancwearing
    Options
    Hi
    I am looking for some general advice on savings and mortgages.

I work for the NHS as a nursing assistant, I have a 15k mortgage, and £65000 savings and a £400/ month private pension
    I am looking to retire when I am 60 in September 2018.(By then will have my mortgage down to £10k.)
    My dilemma is do I pay off the mortgage or save. I receive my state pension when I am 66 so need cash to live off.
    Thanks for any suggestions
  • Anonymous101
    Options
    westv wrote: »
    How many others are finding the biggest obstacle to the possibility of early retirement is their other half? :o:D

Mine is all for it although she worries I'll be off busy with hobbies 2-3 days a week and we'll never see each other.

I find that concept funny. We don't see each other 5 days a week at the moment! :rotfl:
  • Anonymous101
    Options
    Hi
    I am looking for some general advice on savings and mortgages.

I work for the NHS as a nursing assistant, I have a 15k mortgage, and £65000 savings and a £400/ month private pension
    I am looking to retire when I am 60 in September 2018.(By then will have my mortgage down to £10k.)
    My dilemma is do I pay off the mortgage or save. I receive my state pension when I am 66 so need cash to live off.
    Thanks for any suggestions

My very high level first thoughts are that your savings / investments are likely to be yielding a better % than the mortgage is costing you so it doesn't make sense to pay it off.

Every situation is different though and without knowing the details its difficult to give specific advice.
  • alancwearing
    Options
    Hi Thanks for the reply. My savings used to pay more than my mortgage, i.e. when Santander paid 3%.
    However since the reduction in interest to 1.5% this is no longer the case.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback