Options

Comments

• uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 June 2016 at 1:37PM
    Options
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    As ever, I'm somewhere in the middle - contentment in a 4 bed detached works for me!

But your 4 bedroomed detached house IS your palace! :D

This is really simple. One answer really does fit all.

It is simply that happiness is simply having enough to give you the security of knowing you can conduct your life in the way that you wish whatever that may be, and that because of your resources, very little of the unexpected can derail you. Happiness is because of the adequacy of your circumstances, you are in control of your destiny and you have freedom to make choices, rather than unwanted choices being imposed on you because of your circumstances. For some people this is can be as a result of a simple lifestyle and because of that lessor resources achieves it, for others it is more. Neither is right or wrong or better or worse.

imho

:)

Jeff
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    4 bed detatched?

FAT CAT! ;):D
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I have always been very conservative and perhaps pessimistic about my personal finances.
    However I retired at 52 nearly 19 years ago. Why, because someone made the decision for me. I was paid to go away and after some months of thought realised I could retire. I did and have never regretted it for a minute. If it had not been for that PUSH I probably would have never thought I had enough money to retire.
    I am still very careful as once retired you change from wealth building to wealth retention.
    So with Brexit becoming a real possibility I am making sure I have enough liquid "under the mattress" in case there is a run on the Banks. Does anyone remember how frightening it was to see people outside of Northern Rock branches. I don't want ever to be one of those people.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    gfplux wrote: »
    Does anyone remember how frightening it was to see people outside of Northern Rock branches.

I used to cycle past them while going "Baaaa" like a sheep and shortly afterwards started filling my boots with subordinated bank debt. I don't scare too easily. :D
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    4 bed detatched?

FAT CAT! ;):D

:rotfl:

It's a small 4 bed detached!
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    gfplux wrote: »
    I am still very careful as once retired you change from wealth building to wealth retention.
    So with Brexit becoming a real possibility I am making sure I have enough liquid "under the mattress" in case there is a run on the Banks. Does anyone remember how frightening it was to see people outside of Northern Rock branches. I don't want ever to be one of those people.

OMG its people like you that create these scares. Even the most rabid scaremongering "Remainer" has never even intimated such a thing. Do you have a basement filled with cans of baked beans and bottled water, and Krugerrands sewn into your underpants??

Right now there's a hacker trying to determine from your past postings exactly where you live and will be helping move your cash to a really safe place - theirs. Even without that, odds of run on bank losing you your money*, 1 in thousands, odds of complete loss of money to to fire, theft maybe one in less than a hundred.

* The government can always print some more you know whilst its not advisable for you to do that :cool:
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's a small 4 bed detached!

A chap down at the corner of the crescent we're on is building a 5 car garage in his garden and sticking 4 bed living accommodation above it for guests and staff.

More than they need, for sure, but after you've paid £1.8m for the house (in the grim North) what's another £800k+ to add a few finishing touches?
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    OMG its people like you that create these scares. Even the most rabid scaremongering "Remainer" has never even intimated such a thing. Do you have a basement filled with cans of baked beans and bottled water, and Krugerrands sewn into your underpants??

Right now there's a hacker trying to determine from your past postings exactly where you live and will be helping move your cash to a really safe place - theirs. Even without that, odds of run on bank losing you your money*, 1 in thousands, odds of complete loss of money to to fire, theft maybe one in less than a hundred.

* The government can always print some more you know whilst its not advisable for you to do that :cool:

No one knows what will happen after Brexit. All the out campaigners say is there will be a short period of Economic difficulty. I think I read the Mr N Farage does not know what will happen.
    So, being a careful individual I am taking a small step to minimise my personal disruption.
    You do what you need to do.
    This is a free world, just!
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Options
    I think Another Joe's tongue was firmly in cheek when he made those comments gfplux ;)
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,730 Forumite
    Options
    As ever, I'm somewhere in the middle - contentment in a 4 bed detached works for me!

I'll be trading in t he 5 bed palace for a 3 bed bungalow, thanks. Still want my wine, restaurants and the odd holiday though. And will run 2 houses, one here and one in t he USA (for the winter months).

Do I need to? No, but I'd like to live part time in my home country after decades abroad, thanks. W/o being judged by those who are a bit stingy.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback