Early-retirement wannabe

Options

Comments

• Wednesday2000
    Options
    I haven't read the whole thread but we are hoping to retire in just over 10 years time. 2026 is the year we have in mind and I will be 50 years old.:)
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    edited 8 December 2015 at 3:37PM
    Options
    redux wrote: »
    Sorry to drift a bit from the subject and risk contentiousness, but we only have to see the likes of Donald Trump on the TV, simplistically braying hatred of immigrants and religious groups and women and any others he can categorise as different or in his way, to realise that some attitudes are very much alive at the top of some businesses.

Yes, I saw Trump on the news at lunchtime - very alarming.

Perhaps I should have said in the rational world, these sorts of attitudes have been left behind
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • atush
    atush Posts: 18,726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    redux wrote: »
    Sorry to drift a bit from the subject and risk contentiousness, but we only have to see the likes of Donald Trump on the TV, simplistically braying hatred of immigrants and religious groups and women and any others he can categorise as different or in his way, to realise that some attitudes are very much alive at the top of some businesses.

Makes me embarrassed to be an american to know that anyone at all would vote for him.

Thank goodness i am not a republican, i would have to slit my wrists if he got the nomination!
  • Marine_life
    Marine_life Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    Gosh, how archaic! Last time I looked it was 2015, I thought those sorts of attitudes were left behind years ago!

I get the impression that your corporate culture is a masculine jungle, populated by a load of alpha males, all vying to be the top dog, and at any sign of perceived weakness the pack will turn on the weaker animal. Over the years, you've probably bought into this, and along with your competitive nature (as evidenced by the beating and bleeding signature) you will find it really difficult, if not impossible to retire unless you stop believing in the culture and ditch the winning at all costs outlook.

I will be truly gobsmacked if you are able to do this in the foreseeable future.

Wow.

I think the attitudes may have changed on the surface.....but a lot of it is talk and media rather than reality.

Let me give you two examples.

1. We have a modern workplace where people do not have permanent desks and you are encouraged to work from home. But a colleague was criticized for not being a team player because he was perceived to be spending too much time working from home.

2. Our recruitment shows we are missing every target on diversity and inclusiveness such that we are actively being told to recruit more women. Not "recruit the people who are the best for the job" but "recruit more women".

My point being the corporate attitudes may have superficially changed in corporate PR speak but the reality is somewhat different.
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • Marine_life
    Marine_life Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Hung up my suit!
    Options
    gfplux wrote: »
    Hi Marinelife, that was an interesting comment about your wife. I did not remember you saying she also was not sure about you retiring. Are you now absolutely sure she is onside. Procrastination might run in the family, lol.

Oh lets be clear she is absolutely NOT onside.

She worries we don't have enough money - I've nearly brought her around on that one.

She's worried I will be bored.......who can say
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • DesG
    DesG Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Suggest changing thread title to "101 reasons I can't retire before I am 95 or have 40 million in the bank" ?

;)
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    a colleague was criticized for not being a team player because he was perceived to be spending too much time working from home.

25% of my team work from home 100% of the time! You hold the team together by using good systems.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,331 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Marine_life, if your wife is not onside then your reluctance to make the jump makes sense. Perhaps if she read some of the early retirement blogs on the web she might see it differently? ... Otherwise it probably just seems like something that "no one does". Whereas there are in fact plenty of people retiring early and not running out of money or getting bored. Just a thought.
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • coyrls
    coyrls Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wow.

I think the attitudes may have changed on the surface.....but a lot of it is talk and media rather than reality.

Let me give you two examples.

1. We have a modern workplace where people do not have permanent desks and you are encouraged to work from home. But a colleague was criticized for not being a team player because he was perceived to be spending too much time working from home.

2. Our recruitment shows we are missing every target on diversity and inclusiveness such that we are actively being told to recruit more women. Not "recruit the people who are the best for the job" but "recruit more women".

My point being the corporate attitudes may have superficially changed in corporate PR speak but the reality is somewhat different.

You really are a long way off retirement aren't you? When I made the decision to retire, one immediate effect was that all this corporate nonsense ceased to bother me; I was still working but because I knew I was going to go, it didn't matter any more. It seems to me that you haven't made that mental change yet because you don't really think you are going to go.
  • Mr_Costcutter
    Options
    cathybird wrote: »
    Marine_life, if your wife is not onside then your reluctance to make the jump makes sense. Perhaps if she read some of the early retirement blogs on the web she might see it differently? ...

Yes, perhaps she would then realise how fortunate she is.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback