We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

New Zealand resident with UK debt

Options
Hi, I'm looking for more enlightened beings than me on the following subject:

My ex partner (seperated wife) has about £40000 of loan and credit card debt in the UK and is now over here in NZ. I'm still living in the house we originally shared and all her debt mail is coming here - plus, by the looks of the letters, she's not paying or getting in contact with the banks/credit cards and now collection agencies that are chasing her. She's stopped returning my calls and I don't have her address.
My first concern is am I liable for any of the debt, or if bailiffs come round here can they try and take things from the house? - all the debt is in her name.
Also, I've read that the UK debt can be sold to a NZ debt agency for collection, who may make her bankrupt over here (if that's possible??). If she is made bankrupt and the only address is mine am I likely to have (like in the UK) a blacklisted address?
I've talked to solicitors and debt 'experts' in the UK and here and have had varying answers off each one concerning the legality of selling the debt here and also the legality of collection of that debt and my own situation concerning the house which is on long term rent - not helpful....
The thing is, she's in a legal black hole in the UK concerning bankrupcy, because she has no address, therefore cannot be made bankrupt there - so can she be made bankrupt in NZ having UK debt? and thus potentially damaging me credit wise here?
Any help or links gratefully appreciated!

Comments

• asandwhen
    asandwhen Posts: 1,407 Forumite
    Options
    In the UK the address does not get "blacklisted" it would have only affected you if you have any financial link to this person (joint account, joint loan or joint mortgage) if you have none of these then it shouldnt affect you.
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had a few questions on bankruptcy and was given the following email address for the insolvency helpline - try it:
    info@insolvencyhelpline.co.uk
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family