🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Decisions Decisions

Options
Ok which direction should I take? I have a 112 K mortgage at 4.79 fixed for 2 yrs with 21 years remaining. I have a loan of £3900 at 6.9. I have a credit card of £5200 which I will split between a 0% for 12 mths and a lifetime deal of 4.75%. I do not have an overdraft.

Should I increase my mortgage payments or reduce the debt?

Comments

• roswell
    roswell Posts: 2,447 Forumite
    Options
    reduce the debt first your mortgage is long term your debts will have short terms before introduction offeres run out.

once your debts are wiped out you can put the payments that went to them towards your mortgage
    If it doesnt pay rent sell it.
    Mortgage - £2,000
    Updated - November 2012
  • maxcars1
    maxcars1 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Would you reduce the loan or the CC - the CC has a lifetime of 4.75 compared to the Egg Loan of 6.9%?

If I could wipe out he debt I would have approx £300 of spare cash to kill teh mortgage.
  • roswell
    roswell Posts: 2,447 Forumite
    Options
    you could look at gettign a another life of balance credit card and use a super balance transfer card to pay off the loan but you most likely incure costs for early repaylent on the lon which may wipe out the savings.
    If it doesnt pay rent sell it.
    Mortgage - £2,000
    Updated - November 2012
  • cazmanian_minx
    Options
    Check the T&Cs, but when I had an Egg loan a couple of years ago, they didn't have any early repayment charges - if that's still the case, tackle the loan first.

Caroline
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family