We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Son going to look at flat tomorrow!

Options
Hi
My son and his friend are hoping to rent a flat together ---they have an appointment tomorrow to look at one. It is with an estate agents-I am going with them to give them a bit of support LOL!!!(both only 20!)I have already looked round it with OH and it does look lovely----it has been gutted and done up---new kitchen, bathroom,Gas Central Heating, New windows etc----and not a bad price each month!
Can anyone give me some ideas of things they need to ask and/or check? I got a few ideas off Lynzpower the other day(many thanks) but just wondered if anyone else could give me a few tips?
Thanks
x
Sealed pot challenge 7...my number is 2144.....started Nov 29th ....

Comments

• lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    a few further things, as we are selling up to rent, crossed my mind the other day

Check its got a shower- LOADS of places dont, and im sure the lads wont have time to run themselves a bath before work in the morning. ( im sure it will if its just had a new BR put in)

Dont forget to ask about the gas cert

does it have a washing machine- loads of places dont, if there is space for plumbing they can buy theri own ( you can get a new one for 200) otherwise youll get your son turning up with bin bags full of clothes- and Im sure you dont want that!
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • DampProof
    DampProof Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    Heres a couple of things:

1. You will want to see the 'Landlords Gas Safety Certificate' a copy of which should be given to the tenant and which is renewable once a year.
    2. If the central heating/hot water system has a maintenance contract whats the policy number and contact number? and if not, emergency numbers to call in case of failure, flood etc.. This may of course be through the agent.
    3. Check that all the appliances work...it may be new but ....
    4. Fairly basic but important...in case of flooding or fire. Where the fuse board and stop !!!! are located.
    5. If furnished make sure you check everything thoroughly for tears, stains and ensure the inventory matches what you sign for.
    6. Read the meters to ensure you are not paying for someone elses gas and electric.

Hope this helps
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    Is the water metered, or are they responsible for paying a water bill based upon a RV, or is it included in the rent?
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • kathyd_2
    kathyd_2 Posts: 529 Forumite
    Options
    Don't forget about council tax. Also if they have a TV (and who doesn't?) they will need a licence
  • kathyd_2
    Options
    One other thing, is the house/flat furnished? You may need to make enquiries about contents insurance. I'm sure the deposit will cover breakages, but if they were burgled does the landlord have cover to have items replaced?

Do the boys have the luxury of a computer? If so they may want to get an internet line connection. Most companies commit you to a minimum 12 month contract and if things don't work out with the houseshare they will still have to pay until the end of the contract.
  • kathyd_2
    Options
    Sorry, I keep thinking of things as soon as I've posted.

If the house is furnished, make sure you have an inventory of what is there and also what condition the furniture/carpets/curtains are in.

Hope that's everything. :rotfl:
  • vyvyan_2
    vyvyan_2 Posts: 653 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Ask what deposit is required. Get an exact figure.

Also and separately, a holding deposit is usually asked for to secure the property if you want it, but is not refundable if the deal does not go through - often tenants pull out or fail to measure up with the reference checks. Again get an exact figure.

How long for minimum tenancy? - usually 6 months initially.

Admin fees - ask for a break down of these and check as these are often charged per occupant (double in this case).

Whether furnished or unfurnished, check whether a full and detailed inventory will be carried out - it'll become important at the end of the tenancy.

Ask what checks are needed for credit reference. Are you going to be a guarantor?

Good luck!
  • Bennifred
    Bennifred Posts: 3,986 Forumite
    Options
    How about taking photos of the gas/electric meters and also around the flat as proof of original condition - useful for the boys also, as a reminder of how it started out:D . Could be invaluable when the time comes for return of deposit.
    Good luck to them!:beer:
    [
  • gilly41
    gilly41 Posts: 909 Forumite
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks everyone. It is through an estate agent---apparently the landlord lives in London! They each have an admin fee of £56 to pay
    rent is £350 per month and bond is £450.
    Can I just ask(no experience of renting but more than happy to help them out!)---if they like it tomorrow and want to proceed what is the next step? When do they pay what?
    Also, my sons friend isnt able to get out of work til his lunch break or til after 4 when he finishes. I booked the appt for them for 10.45 and dont really want to cancel it at the last minute---my son and I (and probs his girlfriend!) will go and look round then---his mate says he is happy for son to say yes but would obviously like a look tomorrow---do you think i should ring first thing and change the 10.45 appt or just go ahead with it and ask then for his mate to be shown round later?
    How did i get so involved LOL???? My son was working Friday when he asked me to ring to make the appt but he has tomorrow off work!
    Thanks again everyone _ I am writing a list of things to ask on their behalf. Yes, I have told my son I will stand as gurantor---it is a 6 month contract.
    x
    Sealed pot challenge 7...my number is 2144.....started Nov 29th ....
  • kathyd_2
    Options
    Do your son and his mate have mobiles with cameras? Perhaps you could take some snaps and relay them to the mate whilst doing the viewing. That way he can give his opinion almost immediately. Alright not brilliant, but at least it gives him some idea as to the layout etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport