Dental treatment abroad

Options
1235»

Comments

• julie1956
    Options
    Toothsmith wrote: »
    To answer your main point, I'll just be repeating what I wrote in post #21 and #23 above.

The vast majority of people who go abroad will be going there with a completely broken mouth, and with no real idea of what they have done wrong for their mouth to get into that situation.

They will be getting thousands of pounds worth of work done, and the initial result will probably look fantastic.

But - they will have no idea still of where they went wrong with their own teeth, and they will most likely still make exactly the same mistakes with their new teeth.

They may well carry on smoking, they may well eat the same sort of things and drink the same sort of things. They will still brush th same, they will still avoid the dentist wherever possible - just because they can't find an NHS one (Who would never be able to look after such work anyway).

And within a few years, it will all fall to bits again - only this time, with bridges, and implants screwed into the bone, it will not be a new set of teeth they will be in search of, but a cheap skull rebuild!

In the long term, people with little interest in upgrading their dental knowledge to go with their upgraded teeth would probably be better off with a cheaper plastic denture than whizzy advanced implants.

The quality of the nuts and bolts is completely irrelevent. As is the quality of the plasma screen in the practice waiting room.

The 'quality' is to be found in the effort made to monitor and improve the patients knowledge and health before the treatment starts. It's in working with the patient over the long term to gradually improve and maintain their dental health.

It's not in the limo from the airport, or the nice hotel room, or the shopping oportunities in the city.

I will conceed that if, in partnership with your regular UK dentist, you go off to a foreign clinic to have a specific treatment carried out, and then return for regular aftercare with that same UK dentist, then there prehaps is some scope for moneysaving.

This is not where the Kreatives, or the like are marketing though.

They sell the idea of one hit dental fixes, with a nice holiday on the side.

The quality of their staff or treatments may well be high, but without all the boring, time consuming, unsexy, slog that should accompany it, then it can never be described as a quality dental service.

It is a 'qwik fit' dental clinic, only the consequences are far more serious than your exhaust falling off 5 miles down the road.

it's true, but that's gonna hapenn even if they have a dental treatment in UK...We're talking about dental habbits in this case.

I had my last work done in Croatia in November - a 7 unit bridge, and in June (while I'll be going there for vacation) I'll have a free chekup! It's not a problem at all.
    However I do agree with your point in dental aftercare with their dentists in UK...
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,075 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    julie1956 wrote: »
    it's true, but that's gonna hapenn even if they have a dental treatment in UK...We're talking about dental habbits in this case.

Yes we are - but a dentist is far more likely to try and change those habits before embarking on advanced work if the patient lives a short distance away.

Plus they are less likely to embark on completely unsuitable treatments if it's easy for the patient to come back and complain, and relatively easy to seek redress through the courts.

How many people in the UK would know where to begin a complaint against a Croatian dentist?

Are there even any laws that would protect patients in this situation? Or any laws that a dentist must have insurance cover?

I know for a fact that I wouldn't have to 'rip off' my patients anywhere near as much if I didn't have an obligation to hold professional insurance cover.

And that cover isn't like car insurance, I pay just as much as someone who has a terrible record of complaints. I've never had one (That hasn't been sorted out in-house anyway!)
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • Infrasonic
    Options
    Toothsmith wrote: »
    I know for a fact that I wouldn't have to 'rip off' my patients anywhere near as much if I didn't have an obligation to hold professional insurance cover.

And that cover isn't like car insurance, I pay just as much as someone who has a terrible record of complaints. I've never had one (That hasn't been sorted out in-house anyway!)

Toothsmith; the below link may be of use to you in getting a (possibly) fairer deal on your insurance.

http://www.dentalprotection.org/assets/documents/Apps_2007/UK_subsbooklet_07.pdf
    Individual dentists who (for a variety of reasons) are felt to represent a particularly adverse
    risk for the mutual fund which is owned by and held in trust for the whole membership, pay
    a higher subscription to reflect both this additional risk, and also the cost of monitoring/
    administration, counselling and other targeted risk management support
    Those are my principals, and if you don't like them well...I have others...
  • ingram62
    Options
    I xan recommned a dentist in Rovinj Istria In Croatia, you can fly to Pula airport with Ryanair and also have a nice holiday.

Regards

Elaine
  • donteatthat
    Options
    Infrasonic wrote: »
    Toothsmith; the below link may be of use to you in getting a (possibly) fairer deal on your insurance.

http://www.dentalprotection.org/assets/documents/Apps_2007/UK_subsbooklet_07.pdf
    Individual dentists who (for a variety of reasons) are felt to represent a particularly adverse
    risk for the mutual fund which is owned by and held in trust for the whole membership, pay
    a higher subscription to reflect both this additional risk, and also the cost of monitoring/
    administration, counselling and other targeted risk management support

I am sure Toothsmith is aware of Dental Protection.
    Dental Protection's is not insurance, its indemnity. Insurance does tend to be more expensive the longer you have been in practice.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are usually right.
  • shoda
    shoda Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    Hello,

I'm looking to have my teeth done abroard, kreativ has poped up on the forum, has any used this service, I would like as much information about this dentist as possible before i make any sort of deccission, does any one recommend a good detist other wise

Shoda
  • Allan01
    Options
    Dental marketing is advantageous to enhance the profit of your business. One of the ways to increase your business is through sending mails as this method is cheap of cost and also efficient ways to attract business.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure