2 mortgage question

Options
Looking for some advice please guys so heres where im at, id like to move to a bigger place with the g/f, currently have a mortgage in my own name with about 70k outstanding with the house valued at 135k, this is fixed with nationwide and i can port this to a new house and nationwide say i can have another mortgage with my g/f on this mortgage. Can i get a second mortgage with another lender or do i need to get the second mortgage with nationwide?

Comments

• dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You cant have 2 mortgages on the same property with different lenders ( you can have a mortgage and a secured loan but PLEASE dont go down that route)
    So if Nationwide are happy to port your existing deal and lend you the extra to buy a bigger place then its Nationwide for you.
  • Senior_Paper_Monitor
    Senior_Paper_Monitor Posts: 2,918 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 October 2010 at 5:41PM
    Options
    You could - in theory - mortgage with another lender BUT only if they take second charge (rather than first) and I doubt you will find anyone willing to do so as a true mortgage rather than seucred loan (which will be more expensive).

If porting and adding a second mortage ensure you weigh the implications of the combined loans (not just cost, but split end dates, almost eternal ERC implications if they stay 'out of kilter', admin/valuation/solicitor fees on twice as many occasions etc) against taking the one-off hit for any ERCs and the impact of rates (both deal and SVR).

Deals at the moment are at 'all time lows' (except for high LTVs).

Out of fairness Nationwide's porting/further advance etc conditions are generally amongst the best - not sure what their stance will be on a single mortage + joint mortage (but can't think of a good reason why it shouldn't be allowed off the top of my head).
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • mongo81
    Options
    thanks for the feedback
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills