Shopping around for a dentist

Options
I have awful stained, eroded front teeth, and have been reccomended 6 crowns by my nhs dentist. I dont really like nor trust the guy, nor have i found him helpful when I was asking questions about the crowns.

So after reading on here, I know I would be foolish to go with this guy if I wasnt comftable. I am prepared to pay private costs. Looking around £300 a tooth round here. So i called a few dentists in the area, explained I wasnt happy with my current dentist and was wanting to use someone else, and I just wanted to pop in and have a chat about there surgery and what they can offer me. They all wanted to charge me £35 -£75! for this. Is this normal?? Obviously i cant afford this for every dentist in my town, but I need to shop around.

I havent really got friends or family that have had this much work done so cant turn to them for advice.

What are all your thoughts??
:o First Started Comping Aug 2008 - First Aug Win 2 x Tickets To Bestival!! £260
September Wins: £100 Thomas Cook Vouchers
October Wins: £500 Warehouse Shopping Spree! :o

Comments

• Apollonia
    Options
    I would say that was usual for an initial consultation which seems to be what you are asking for. No good dentist will be prepared to discuss treatment options without examining your mouth.

If you just want to look at the premises - waiting room, reception staff, parking, access - whatever it is that you need, then (as Toothsmith's sig line says) just go to the practice and ask for practice leaflets and information about their payment plans etc.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes - I would definitely recommend VISITING the practice or practices first.

Those fees are normal for initial consultations (Mine is £90 including x-rays) But you don't want to be going and having multiple sets of x-rays either.

You can get the 'feel' of a place by just popping in to enquire about prices, getting a practice leaflet, and just asking how soon an appointment would be available. You needn't committ yourself to anything.

Get a 'short list' and do a bit of legwork. It will pay dividends in the end.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    edited 31 October 2010 at 5:18PM
    Options
    The only thing I would add is if your teeth are eroded is before you have any crowns the erosion must be under control otherwise you will have even worse problems.

If the erosion is just on the front teeth then diet (smoothies ,sports drinks) , vomiting can be the problem , if the back teeth as well then acid reflux , may be a problem.

six teeth at the front to be crowned is quite substantial treatment particularly in someone who is 21? so acid erosion must be quite bad. I would be looking for a dentist who is keen to prevent any further problems before starting work on your front teeth. You should not be looking for a dentist just to crown your front teeth but someone you will develop a relationship with to prevent you needing more extensive treatment in the future.

Finally I hope you realise crowns are not permanent , they need replacing ,on average, every 10 to 15 years and I would be loath to crown this many teeth on someone your age. Every time they are replaced more tooth is taken away. There may be more conservative things you can have done but you will have to pay for the dentists time to examine you and discuss your options.
  • xx_lucy_xx
    Options
    Thanks for your advise guys,

Looks like ill be calling round all the local dentists in the area. I wish there was a review website, that would be much helpful!

In regards to 6 is alot of crowns, my dentist advised that the dark brown staining neer the gumline is erosion, and he wouldnt be able to get it back to white, its only the 2 front teeth that are damaged in a texture sense, as they have eroded neer my gumline, i used to drink cans of pop semi opened in this strange sucking way when i was at school which i think caused it!

But i assure you im ready, im not the biggest fan of the dentist at the best of times, but its the first thing i think of in a morning and the last thing at night is getting my bloody teeth fixed, but i just want it to be right!
    :o First Started Comping Aug 2008 - First Aug Win 2 x Tickets To Bestival!! £260
    September Wins: £100 Thomas Cook Vouchers
    October Wins: £500 Warehouse Shopping Spree! :o
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    xx_lucy_xx wrote: »
    Thanks for your advise guys,

Looks like ill be calling round all the local dentists in the area. I wish there was a review website, that would be much helpful!

In regards to 6 is alot of crowns, my dentist advised that the dark brown staining neer the gumline is erosion, and he wouldnt be able to get it back to white, its only the 2 front teeth that are damaged in a texture sense, as they have eroded neer my gumline, i used to drink cans of pop semi opened in this strange sucking way when i was at school which i think caused it!

But i assure you im ready, im not the biggest fan of the dentist at the best of times, but its the first thing i think of in a morning and the last thing at night is getting my bloody teeth fixed, but i just want it to be right!

Just think ahead, Lucy, you will be astounded at the difference it makes to your face and your self esteem.

You will be beautiful again..I promise:D
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    xx_lucy_xx wrote: »
    I wish there was a review website, that would be much helpful!

It really wouldn't.

You only need one disgruntled nutter to completely put you off a very good place.

And it only needs a few friends and family to make a very bad place look good!

Use your own eyes and form your own opinios depending on what sort of service you want.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure