We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

will my new employer know about my bad credit?

Options
will my potential new employers know if i have bad credit and just a basic account and will it affect my chances of employment?

worried now?
Focusing on clearing the credit cards in 2018 :T

Comments

• lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Only if they do a credit check, which I think they need permission to do. Many choose to have a basic account.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • kathfisch
    kathfisch Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Options
    I think your finances are only relevant to your employer if you work closely with money or in the financial industry, or a post where you need security clearance. Otherwise they'll only ask for your bank account number etc to pay your wages in, but they won't need to know what kind of account it is or how much money is in it!! :)
    Don't stress, relax, let life roll off your backs. Except for death and paying taxes, everything in life is only for now... Avenue Q
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 003 :DProud to have become debt free... and striving to keep it that way
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Should not have any bearing on your employment, with the exceptions as pointed out by Kathfish above.
    You should only mention it if you are asked directly, and even then you have no obligation to go into details.
    Good luck with the interview.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • skintasusual
    Options
    my OH is employed by a major high st bank, even as staff he was only offered a basic cash card account, but it didnt affect his employability!

be aware, my sister worked for a different one, and with every promotion they did another credit check!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
    :beer:
    Official DFW nerd no.190 :p
  • AndyR_3
    AndyR_3 Posts: 324 Forumite
    Options
    I've worked for two high street banks, and both did credit checks. Having said that, I have a few colleagues who have a few small problems (late payments rather than defaults) and that's not really a problem.

One of the banks I have worked for ask if you have any credit problems on the application form. If you don't declare them and then they discover them, they'll not give you a job regardless of how minor the problems are, because it's viewed as dishonesty.

But if it's not a finance related job, they shouldn't even check.
    Amazon sellers club - member number 63.
    January challange - sell 10 items. 0 down, 10 to go!
  • Dr.Shoe_2
    Dr.Shoe_2 Posts: 1,028 Forumite
    Options
    Only Banks and insurance companies will do a credit check...
    [strike]-£20,000[/strike] 0!
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    All of the above is quite correct. I am applying for jobs at the moment, and I noticed that all of the agencies state, quite clearly, that you should not give your bank details on any job application, and, should you be asked for this information, you should report this. Whilst this is probably to protect against possible fraud, it should also protect you against prying questions.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family