Will it never end...

Options
Well, just had another call from the garage, the total cost for my car MOT is £600, on top of the £60 for a new window last week. The CCCS budget was £200 a year....

At least I'm getting to see CAB quicker than I expected, I was told to expect a wait of two to three weeks but I've got an appointment on monday. I'm going to ask them about bankruptcy, their suggestion last week of £1 a week to each creditor just isn't realistic, I'll be paying for 36 years if they freeze interest, and wont be able to afford to get a job as the payments will go up yet my income will go down.

Really don't want to be an adult anymore!
Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.

Comments

• rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Never rains but it pours!
    Sorry to hear about the car - no way to get the bill down?
    Good luck with CAB
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Options
    I'm assuming there's no way to get the car bill down, I'm not a mechanic so I'm taking it on trust that they're not ripping me off! They were recommended by the AA man who rescued me when it died on monday night so I don't think they'll be ripping me off.
  • the_taws_family_of_7
    Options
    Ames wrote:
    Well, just had another call from the garage, the total cost for my car MOT is £600, on top of the £60 for a new window last week. The CCCS budget was £200 a year....

At least I'm getting to see CAB quicker than I expected, I was told to expect a wait of two to three weeks but I've got an appointment on monday. I'm going to ask them about bankruptcy, their suggestion last week of £1 a week to each creditor just isn't realistic, I'll be paying for 36 years if they freeze interest, and wont be able to afford to get a job as the payments will go up yet my income will go down.

Really don't want to be an adult anymore!
    Was the offer of a £1 a week not just until theyd heard back from the creditors as when i went to the cab a few weeks ago thats what i was told.Im still waiting 3 weeks later and have decided im going to go it alone as have redone my soa properley not like the shambles the cab did with me hiding sky and bt.Ive worked out i can slowly repay it and am looking for a small job to just pay debt.When i suggested a job the cab said it probably wouldnt be worth it and that i couldnt make any extra payments without asking them.(which is ridiculous as it takes 3 weeks to speak to her)Please think long and hard before going bankrupt.I know alot of people say its the best thing they ever did but i suppose it all depends what youve got to lose.I wish you all the best and will keep an eye out for what you decide to do.
    DEBT £45,OOO AT 9/10/06:mad: HERES TO A FRESH START!
  • Ames
    Options
    I'm on income support, so no the £1 a week was for good. I'll never be able to work more than part time in a low paid job, if that. I don't actually have anything to lose by going bankrupt, as I live in a council flat and don't have any valuable possessions. There's the car I guess, but after the hassle it's caused this week then to be honest I'd be glad to see the back of it....

The problem I had with the initial appointment with CAB is that it wasn't about dealing with the debt just minimising my payments, when I said that I want to be able to work but can't with the level of repayments the reply was that I'm better off on benefits, but that's not really the point.
  • the_taws_family_of_7
    Options
    Ames wrote:
    I'm on income support, so no the £1 a week was for good. I'll never be able to work more than part time in a low paid job, if that. I don't actually have anything to lose by going bankrupt, as I live in a council flat and don't have any valuable possessions. There's the car I guess, but after the hassle it's caused this week then to be honest I'd be glad to see the back of it....

The problem I had with the initial appointment with CAB is that it wasn't about dealing with the debt just minimising my payments, when I said that I want to be able to work but can't with the level of repayments the reply was that I'm better off on benefits, but that's not really the point.
    I see what you mean.Reading other peoples views it does seem a good option if you dont have a huge amount to lose then you can effectively start again.Alot of people seem to have had good dealings with cab personally i think they wernt much help and obviously have so many other people on their books they just dont have time for each individual which is what you need.Good luck with whatever you decide.
    DEBT £45,OOO AT 9/10/06:mad: HERES TO A FRESH START!
  • cattie1
    cattie1 Posts: 2,063 Forumite
    Options
    would it be possible to sell the car for parts (you can put it in some papers free in some areas) and with whtever you make buy a cheap run around?
    official dfw nerd club member no 214
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!;)
    Why is a person that handles your money called a broker?!:confused:
  • Ames
    Options
    It's actually worth more than just spares, between two and two and a half thousand. I was thinking I'll just sell it as soon as I get it back, but surely there's nothing left to go wrong now and it wont cost me for another year. My dad's luckily offered to pay half the repairs so I can just about afford my half and be able to eat this month.
  • cattie1
    cattie1 Posts: 2,063 Forumite
    Options
    Ames wrote:
    It's actually worth more than just spares, between two and two and a half thousand. I was thinking I'll just sell it as soon as I get it back, but surely there's nothing left to go wrong now and it wont cost me for another year. My dad's luckily offered to pay half the repairs so I can just about afford my half and be able to eat this month.
    oh sorry:o
    official dfw nerd club member no 214
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!;)
    Why is a person that handles your money called a broker?!:confused:
  • msmicawber
    msmicawber Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Ames, have you asked your friends and family if any of them use a good roadside mechanic (or whatever they're called)? I use one - he's a sole trader, and doesn't have a garage, but just comes and works on the car outside my house. He charges a great deal less than a garage because his overheads are so much lower, and he's very good. He's done work for me for a couple of hundred pounds that garages quoted more like £1k for!
    Debt at highest: £6,290.72 (14.2.1999)
    Debt free success date: 14.8.2006 :j
  • Ames
    Options
    I don't have any friends or family nearby, the nearest family are 70 miles away and I don't have any close friends (manic depression tends to scare people off).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure