We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Snowballing conundrum.

Options
Help! I have decided to snowball by debts & have used the calculator to work it all out but it is giving me an impossible scenario. First, my debts:-

Cahoot Flexible loan owe £8092 @ 6.3%. Minimum payment 2%

HSBC Credit card owe 2904.16 @ 0% for 12 months & then 15.9%. (Just taken this out so just started 0% deal.) Minimum payment £50 (I think)

Clydesdale. Owe £500 @ £27.46 oer month at 37%.

Natwest non-flexible 7 year loan started 4/06 owe £13,931 at 7.3% at £395.95 per month

AA non-flexible loan 7 year loan started 12/05 owe £24,158.18 at 6.3 at £316 per month.

Now, I should finish paying the last of these, the AA in Dec 2012 but the snowball calculator shows me paying it up till Dec 2014! Help! What am I doing wrong? The snowball calculator appears to have got its sums wrong.
:beer: Lightbulb moment in September 2006. Owed £43,000. Aim to be debt-free by May 2010 by a combination of snowballing, tarting and keeping tighter control over spending

Comments

• CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    what did it tell you to do?
  • mrs_deadline
    Options
    Are you sure of your AA repayment figure, phinch?

Looks to me like snowball's absolutely right - £316 per month for 73 more months is only £23,068 which won't be enough to clear the amount borrowed. Add in compound interest and it would take years longer at that rate... must be something amiss with the original figures, I'm afraid :(

I think the Natwest and AA repayment amounts have been switched, easy done with them both being for 7-years :)
    :T:j :TMFiT-T2 No.120|Challenge started 12.12.09|MFD 12.12.12 :j:T:j
  • crawley_girl
    Options
    How much can you pay per month towards debts. Without this it is hard to snowball...

:heartpuls CG :heartpuls
    Ever wonder about those people who spend £2 apiece on those little bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backward.
  • phinch
    phinch Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry crawley-girl it's £1189.89 per month total debt repayments. No Mrs Deadline, the AA & Natwest figures haven't been switched.

By the way, I can pay the AA off earlier but not the Natwest one. I'll just have to divert the money into my savings or my mortgage, whichever is the best option at the time.

I was considering contacting an insolvency practitioner but I can afford to repay... just and have no secured loans, missed payments or CCJs and I don't want to mess up my chances of getting credit if I need it. I will ring the AA this morning & get them to check the figs & report back.
    :beer: Lightbulb moment in September 2006. Owed £43,000. Aim to be debt-free by May 2010 by a combination of snowballing, tarting and keeping tighter control over spending
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    if you are not allowed to overpay, then your debt free date will always be the last payment on your fixed outgoing loan
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • phinch
    Options
    Well I am now totally confused. The numbers on the AA loan just don't add up as I have rung them today and they confirn Jan 2013 as final payment date. Totally mystified. I suppose in some ways it doesn't matter as it's the last part of the snowball but I just wish I could figure out the discrepency.

I also cancelled the insurance so that should bring it down a bit & reduce the monthly payments.
  • crawley_girl
    crawley_girl Posts: 2,010 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Did you take a payment break - you know 'have now, start repayments in 3 months' or something similar?

Just a thought...

:heartpuls CG :heartpuls
    Ever wonder about those people who spend £2 apiece on those little bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backward.
  • phinch
    Options
    No I didn't. It is so depressing and seemingly so straightforward. I also think that HSBC are not going to let me have their credit card.

Funnily enough, the AA rang me yesterday offering me even more money at a lower interest rate with a payment holiday till Jan 07. I was proud of myself when I said, "No thanks." These people swarm around like sharks on the run up to Crimbo.
  • wilf55
    wilf55 Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    Options
    phinch wrote:
    No I didn't. It is so depressing and seemingly so straightforward. I also think that HSBC are not going to let me have their credit card.

Funnily enough, the AA rang me yesterday offering me even more money at a lower interest rate with a payment holiday till Jan 07. I was proud of myself when I said, "No thanks." These people swarm around like sharks on the run up to Crimbo.

proud of you saying no

well done
    Save 12k in 2015 member 187. £62.50/6000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business