Wits end.........................

Options

Comments

• robindunne1
    Options
    lil_me wrote:
    CSA payments should be 15% of his net income for one child. For payments of £460pcm thats net earnings of about £36/37k ?

With your parents what other support are you and they getting ? Sounds liek you're taking a lot on your shoulders, especially with 2 young children to care for, plus working.

Paying for flights etc ? Sorry is that for work ? Shouldn't he be able to claim a lot of that back through the business ?

I would also contact the tax credits office ASAP and chase up that claim.

If you work under 16 hours per week could you claim carers allowance for looking after 1/both of your parents. I know it is only paid once regardless of how many you care for but may help.

That amount is obscene. For someone to be paying that they would need to be earning £55,000

(100/15) x 460 = £3066

Gross that number up to include tax and national insurance it is nearly £55,000 exactly.
    Giving up is easy...... just keep on trying!
  • krashovr10ad
    Options
    ++

Yep - amounts calculated on the old system are great... I was paying £399 (inc % for arrears) a month for 1 child - it has dropped slightly to £342 (inc % for arrears) and I earn £16k...

My ex-got married, had 2 more children and then got divorced and if his circumstances are the same as mine he would pay £186 for his 2 children...

I have every sympathy for everyone dealing with the CSA...

++
  • Swampie_2
    Options
    Thanks Guys, my talk went well with the folks. Hoping to have some practical help soon. I've made the necessary phone calls and mum and dad will be assessed-sometime. We don't earn anywhere near £55K by the way. HIs net earnings are about £21000. That's why we are struggling so much. My hubby's job is of a dangerous nature so his life assurance and insurances are £290 per month too. I'm still unsure if I should rock the boat. Terrified We'll have to pay more. I'm just nervous, I'll sit down and work it all out when I get the chance.
    Sorry to hear we're not the only ones the CSA is bleeding dry. How can they get away with it?
  • kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Under the old rules, the maximum he should be paying, is 30% of his net income (not including arrears, which would increase it a little). So if his gross income is 21k he should be paying no more than 94 pounds per week, but that does not take into account as I don't know the details, but there is a maximum limit of 30%. So if he is paying a lot more, you definately need to check what income figure the CSA are using - but it should be on the letter you would have been sent explaining how the assessment was worked out. What are your housing costs (break down interest and capital for mortgage or full rent)? Do you have any children living with you? How far does he go to work? How much is your council tax? Do you have any income? If so, how much? I can do you a calculation if I know that information.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ithink you can get an estimate from the CSA without going through with applying for a new assessment. Kelloggs of course has offered to do an assessment which is good of them to offer, might be best PMing those details if you would prefer not to disclose to everyone.

I am not saying they would do this for you but a friend of mine had excessive debt with the CSA and when she called to discuss with them, they basically wrote the debt off, I was shocked.

I'm pleased to hear you've got the ball rolling to get the parents assessment. Hopefully they will offer help soon, take a little of the excess weight off your shoulders.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • kelloggs36
    kelloggs36 Posts: 7,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If your partner earns 21k pa and you have 2 children, with 100 pounds per week housing costs, you should be paying about 55 pounds per week, so it sounds like you are paying too much. GET A NEW ASSESSMENT DONE ASAP. Be careful though, because if he is self-employed, and they look at his accounts, they won't allow capital depreciation. Send in his last self- assessment tax letter which states his gross pre--tax profit if it shows 21k or less. If it is considerably more, then I would be careful. They can only go on the previous year's tax returns, so if he has had a drop in income, you can't do anything until the new tax year. Compare the income they have used to the income he has on his self-employed tax return. You have a mortgage, which is allowed. If you don't get a re-assessment, then your liability can't change and you will only get further into arrears if you can't meet the payments. They can only do an assessment from when you request one or they choose to do one - it isn't in anybody's interests but your own to get a new one done, so if the figures add up, do it now! You will get an allowance per child in your house, equal to that allowed under the Tax Credit system which will increase his exempt income, thus leaving less to pay maintenance with. With 2 children, that increases the exempt income by about 100 pounds per week with the Family premium (or 50 pounds per week if you are deemed to be earning enough to make a contribution towards them).
  • Swampie_2
    Options
    Thanks for the help. I'll pm you the details when I get a minute. Thanks for your offer! It's really good of you. Just don't have 5 minutes at the minute.
  • Turning_into_scrooge
    Options
    Swampie wrote:
    You are all fantastic! I feel like such a weight has been lifted from me. He was assessed under old rules and we never understood it! Going to sit down and work it out. He has never met the child, although we did apply for contact but as she was already 5 and had a 'daddy' we received a letter asking us to 'back off' for the childs sake. She is 15 and we don't think she knows we exist. My hubby refuses to take things any further, but I wonder if we'll ever get that knock on the door and what he'll say to her. As for DNA testing, I have it on good authority that the child is very like him. Both our children are his double too. In saying that, she was the result of his one and only 'one night stand' when he was 19. It took the CSA five years to track him down cause the woman only knew his name, not where he was from, age, etc. But they managed it!
    I really can't express how grateful I am, my eyes were red and swollen from crying so much with frustration and exhaustion. Now they're red cause I'm touched and grateful that you have all taken the time to help! I don't feel so alone.
    I've looked up the social services number to call them tomorrow and told my mum and dad and brother that we need to have a serious chat tomorrow night. I'm also going to get assertive with the tax credit people. Wish me luck. If I don't sort this out now, I never will!

I'm sorry i cannot give you advise on your question but i just wanted to say that i think thats terrible that he has nevr been allowed to see the child he is paying for. Some women are totally heartless and cruel, thank goodness he is with you and not her or he may of had a totally different life.
  • skintas_2
    skintas_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    how come your husband has to pay so much money, he never met the child, is the mother claiming benefits, who is getting the money, her and her bloke. if ur paying u have a right to meet the child. are they on benefits, you have 2 young children yourself to look after. this seems really unfair as most kids want a dad and the exs are usally bitter so the kids miss out.your so calm if mu husband was paying out so much i wont be so calm good luck with your claim
    i will be debt free, i will
  • krashovr10ad
    Options
    ++

Dealing with access to the children that you pay for through the CSA is outside of their remit - so no matter how much you pay you're out of luck...

++
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport