Early repayment

Options
My mortgage started in November.
For the first 3 years there is a early repayment charge for repayments >10% a year.

I repaid 10% in April. Does the next year start in November or do I have to wait until 1st january to make the next 10% overpayment to avoid the charges?

Comments

• cupid_s
    cupid_s Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    Options
    with how my mortgage works it would be that come november you could pay another 10%. I would just check with the mortgage provider. When I had a lump-sum to pay off I just called them and they sent me a letter clarifying exactly what charges I would incur
  • alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    RubyBish wrote:
    My mortgage started in November.
    For the first 3 years there is a early repayment charge for repayments >10% a year.

I repaid 10% in April. Does the next year start in November or do I have to wait until 1st january to make the next 10% overpayment to avoid the charges?

Be careful it could be a calender year. Check with the mortgage provider, better still get something in writing from them to confirm when their year starts and ends.

Better that than pay a redemption fee.
  • kenshaz
    kenshaz Posts: 3,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It will be from when you took the mortgage out ,not calender years,for example if you took out a mortgage for 25 years it starts from the day you completed
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To be happy you need to make someone happy.[/FONT]
  • regularsaver1
    Options
    Yeah i agree - from when mortgage started (Halifax does)
  • savedup
    savedup Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

It may be worth the OP ringing their mortgage lender on this to make sure.
    I used to have a mortgage with Abbey until last year , and they used the Calendar year for the purposes of overpayments.Even though I took the mortgage out in July.

May be wise to check.

regards

Savedup
    An economic forecaster is like a cross-eyed javelin thrower : they don't win many accuracy contests, but they certainly keep the crowd's attention !:rotfl:

Money may not buy happiness - but misery comes free with debt.:o
  • RubyBish
    RubyBish Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    Phoned chelt and glos this morning and they tell me they work by calendar year, so I will have to wait until January.
    From the repsonses it would seem each lender applies a different rule. I just wish they would list these details on their websites.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure