We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

annuity versus cash

can anyone help with a problem I am having with STANDARD LIFE. I have two small annuities totalling about £9,000. they are already running as I am 66 years old. Under new rules I thought I had a right to ask for the cash instead of the annuities,which are pathetic, but STANDARD LIFE have said"It is not oiur policy to do this".Do I have a right to demand the money or not?

Comments

  • Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,487 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    sidalan wrote:
    they are already running as I am 66 years old.
    Do you mean you've already bought the annuities with the pension fund?
    sidalan wrote:
    Under new rules I thought I had a right to ask for the cash instead of the annuities,which are pathetic, but STANDARD LIFE have said"It is not oiur policy to do this".Do I have a right to demand the money or not?
    If you've already purchased annuities, then no. This applies regardless of who you bought them off. (Some policies may continue to pay for a guaranteed time after you've died, or pay a spouse after your death, but this is the extent to which you can 'get the money back'.) Basically, once you've purchased an annuity, there's no going back. This isn't peculiar to Standard Live.

    If you haven't yet purchased an annuity, and you still have the funds, that answer is still "not necessarily."

    What is the name of the pension fund you have with Standard Life?

    Do you have any pension funds with any other companies? If so, what is the value of them?

    Have you cashed in/bought annuities with any other pensions? If so, details please?
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    You can't have the money if the annuities are already in payment.

    You might have been able to take the money under the new rules, but only if the total value of ALL your pensions (apart from state pensions) was 15k or less and you were over 60.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • thanks edinvestor, I suspected as much but its nice to know where I stand
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.