Cool tv. Is there one?

Options
Is there one which uses a lot less energy than the standard flatscreen tvs. 36" screen if possible

Comments

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 October 2010 at 8:36PM
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    Is there one which uses a lot less energy than the standard flatscreen tvs. 36" screen if possible
    Hi

Probably the most efficient TVs are the new generation LED units, but, being latest technology, they're a little pricey at the moment when compared to standard LCD or plasma.

In theory the EST website ...... http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Energy-Saving-Trust-Recommended-products/Home-entertainment-consumer-electronics/Integrated-digital-TVs ... should answer your question, but they only seem to be interested in power consumption in standby mode (muppets !!, hope they get merged with Act on CO2 etc as every time I've contacted any of them all I've received is a reply saying they will contact me within a couple of days .... they never do) ....... so it's effectively useless (just like them).

I have large screen plasma and LCD, the LCD always uses the same power when on, however bright the picture, which is considerably less than a plasma with a bright image, but when displaying a mainly dark image the plasma actually uses less than the LCD.

The two TVs combined account for over 20% of my annual household energy consumption, which isn't high at about 2700kWh, so changing reasonably new technology before either the units fail or the LCD prices fall significantly doesn't make either 'green' or economic sense ....

HTH
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport