We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

FTB - Large deposit, low salary

Hi guys,

I'm in a lucky situation to have access to a large deposit - around £185k but am on a relatively low salary £25k with a £2k bonus that isn't guaranteed but in 3 years I have always got.

My question is, will the large deposit help me get a larger mortgage? I'd be looking for property worth £290-310 with the aim of obvsiously offering less. Is there anyway I could get 4.5x my salary inc bonus given the large deposit?

I'm definitely planning on speaking to a broker at some point but I'd like to have a figure in mind now so I can see what my money can get me.

Also is there any liklihood that I'd be able to get a better rate than the standard on most mortgage lenders websites?

Thanks in advance!

Luke

Comments

  • GMS
    GMS Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    The large deposit will helpget a good rate, whether or not you get what you want is dependent upon your individual circumstances.

    4.5 x salary may be optimistic, but may be possible subject to criteria.

    As for a better rate than standard, not sure why you would think this. Rates are as they are and generally increase the higher the Loan to Value so at a low LTV you should be at the better rates of the lender.

    Speak to a 'Whole of Market' broker who could help you.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    You could potentially get this agreed.

    You would need to make sure however that the mortgage payments were totally affordable, based on the final figures you are looking at.

    Things that could reduce the mortgage amount - debts, low credit score, dependents.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Seff
    Seff Posts: 11 Forumite
    herbiesjp wrote: »
    You could potentially get this agreed.

    You would need to make sure however that the mortgage payments were totally affordable, based on the final figures you are looking at.

    Things that could reduce the mortgage amount - debts, low credit score, dependents.


    Thanks for the above replies.

    I don't have any outstanding debts but possibly a low credit score (never had a credit card and got warning letters from collection agencies for missed mobile phone payments whilst I was travelling abroad but these were then paid immediately) and no dependents.

    I'm sure the payments will be fine considering I have friends who are looking for a room to rent which should at least cover half the mortgage payment each month.
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    The missed payments and collection agency scenario might cause problems.

    Better to discuss to discuss with a good broker, and get an agreement in principle to see if it gets agreed.

    You may also want to get a copy of your credit file also.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.