Debt free by Christmas...maybe

Options
I haven't been a member of this site for a long time, but in the few months that I have been here, I've enjoyed reading everyones posts, and marvel at the community spirit that almost everyone has in pulling together and offering help.

I love this place :heartpuls

I'm aiming to be debt free by Christmas. What I owe is in my sig, and like a few people, I've found it to be a brilliant way of keeping yourself in the right frame of mind to help clear it.

This forum has finally made me wise up and realise that I can't keep spending money, especially when I don't have it. I got my first credit card last Christmas and being a typical 20/21year old, I went a little crazy with spending money [Thankfully I had a small credit limit] that wasn't mind and then reality of paying it back came in.

I was fine when I had my job, but sadly I lost it when my contact ended in September, so I've had to dig myself out with what little I have and jobseekers [Which I apparently will recieve when my old work actually get their fingers out and finish my P45 and send it on cos it's getting stupid now and I'm getting annoyed. I'll give them until tomorrow and then I'll ring up cos it's just not on].

My Ipod [which was my main extravagance] recently packed up, and as much as I would have loved to have got a replacement, I knew I had to plump for the refund and hopefully - when they pick it up - the £325 it cost me [yeah, last Christmas... just before they came down in the sale :rolleyes: ] will come off - and with the buy it now that I've got to come on next month, and what I've paid off already, I have just £20 to pay Choice For You and then that's done and I can tell them to close my account cos I will NEVER use [...until I have a proper job probably knowing me...] them again cos I just can't afford it.

I was easily swayed by the 'buy it now and pay £0000000.1 over 765432 weeks' and didn't look at the final cost :rolleyes: I've learny my lesson and now it'll soon [hopefully] be finished.

Comments

• iwbus
    iwbus Posts: 147 Forumite
    Options
    I think sometimes you have to go a certain way down the "wrong road" of money before you become more clued up about how you SHOULD manage your cash. I know that's certainly true for me but that's the past and I'm now going the right way with my dough. Good luck with your plan
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory
  • Smickan
    Smickan Posts: 1,053 Forumite
    Options
    I agree, I think you need a certain amount of reality that teaches you that you can't do it again, and to try and find the best way out as quick as you humanly can.

I'm just glad it's a small amount.

Thank you :)
  • iwbus
    Options
    I think your debts are what could be termed as "quite easily managed". Mine are bigger but as long as I keep an eye on them and don't slip up there's no reason they should be any more of a problem than yours. Some of the figures you see on here can be :eek: :eek:
  • Smickan
    Options
    I know :( I'm dreading actually living with on my own/with someone else etc.

House prices keep going up and it's scary

... I don't think my mum would let me live here forever with her ;)
  • iwbus
    Options
    Oh what I'd do to be back home again! I got my flat at just the right time, in the last year before prices went through the roof
  • anniestar
    anniestar Posts: 2,600 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome and congratulations for the fantastic way that you are going about clearing your debt. I wish i'd had my head so together when I was 21(or 31 for that matter!!) Good luck with plans.
    Blind as you run...aware you were staring at the sun.

And when no hope was left inside on that starry starry night.

:A Level 42- the reason I exist. :A
  • Smickan
    Options
    Thank you :)

My main problem is I'm so weak willed like many others - I don't like waiting.

But. Sadly, as everyone else - I'm finally starting to accept you have to.
  • iwbus
    Options
    Everything has to be paid for either now or later....however big the screen size is;)
  • Smickan
    Options
    Hahaha! Ah, you caught me - I'm a gadget girl :P

My real weakness is DVD's, I don't go out that much [because I can't afford it :rolleyes:] so if I'm not online talking to people on msn, I'm watching DVD's. [British Comedy of all eras <3]

If only things were free :rolleyes:
  • iwbus
    Options
    I'll give you free postage on my Reginald Perrin boxset then!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport