PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is the Average Grocery bill for a family of 3 ?

Options
13»

Comments

• freda
    freda Posts: 503 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Re potatoes, carrots, parsnips etc a cheap equivalent to the bags from lakeland is a brown paper bag. Freely available from Homebase (I have been known to just wander in and ask for a few, never been refused) or just keep the ones from the greengrocer's.

Put the fruit/veg into the bag and store in a dark, cool place (i.e. cupboard under the sink etc). Works a treat for all root veg, cooking apples etc.
  • Mrs_Cupier
    Options
    Hi, my family's a bit bigger than yours (5 of us), but the three children are all little (5,3 and 1), so perhaps they equate to one 15 year old!

Anyway, we're spending about £50-£60 a week all in on groceries, toiletries, cleaning products - but I do split my shopping up: fruit & veg from the market (£9 this morning got 14 apples, 17 bananas, 7 tomatoes, two packets of fine beans, 10 potatoes, a cauliflower, 6 carrots, 4 peppers and 7 pears); meat from the butchers (£12 for a large chicken, 8 thick bacon slices and 4 sausages) - this is expensive compared to the supermarket, but it's all traceable and I bet if I asked he could tell me the chicken's name! Tins, dried stuff, condiments, bread, dairy, cleaning products, toiletries, alcohol, from the supermarket.

The way around fussy eaters, I've found, is to misdirect (rather than actually fibbing). My 5 year old believes he only likes 'proper' (branded) Bran Flakes - so now they're in Tupperware, and he's getting Tesco's own. No complaints yet.

Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport