Christmas casual at Royal Mail

Options
Hi,
I've just seen the royal mail advertising for a job as a christmas casual in my local area. Has any one done this job previously?
what i was wondering was what kind of hours do you have to work? nights/days? i'd be going for the part time role if i were too get it :)
they also say you have to be able to carry a certain amount of weight, is it really heavy? because i'm only little haha!

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    delivery or sorting?
    you wont(shouldnt) be carrying over 16kg at a time
    however bear in mind that could be 16KG climbing stairs/hills
  • viv0147
    viv0147 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Go for it you will enjoy being paid to exercise, the bag may be heavy at the start but as you do your round it will become easier carry a few dog biscuits with you better for the dogs to eat them than you lol.
    x-postman
    Low Carb High Fat is the way forward I lost 80 lbs

Since first using Martins I have saved thousands
  • DevilWearsPrada
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    delivery or sorting?
    you wont(shouldnt) be carrying over 16kg at a time
    however bear in mind that could be 16KG climbing stairs/hills

Hi sorry i wasn't specific.. it's for sorting out the mail not delivering!
  • funkygal
    funkygal Posts: 42 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,
    I've just seen the royal mail advertising for a job as a christmas casual in my local area. Has any one done this job previously?
    what i was wondering was what kind of hours do you have to work? nights/days? i'd be going for the part time role if i were too get it :)
    they also say you have to be able to carry a certain amount of weight, is it really heavy? because i'm only little haha!
    Hi,

I worked there last year at my local sorting centre part time. The hours I picked were 5:30pm till 9:30pm Monday to Friday. I had the chance to do overtime at the weekends sometimes too. I think you have to do Monday to Friday, not sure if this is specific to my local though.
  • DevilWearsPrada
    Options
    funkygal wrote: »
    Hi,

I worked there last year at my local sorting centre part time. The hours I picked were 5:30pm till 9:30pm Monday to Friday. I had the chance to do overtime at the weekends sometimes too. I think you have to do Monday to Friday, not sure if this is specific to my local though.

Thanks alot! :T
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    funkygal wrote: »
    Hi,

Interesting, can you pick your hours everywhere. I can see my local one is also recruiting adn mornings are best for me, I can start from 5 any day but need to be somewhere else at 11 , 2 days a week.

if anyone can help with this I'd appreciate :)
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • custardy
    Options
    lynzpower wrote: »
    Interesting, can you pick your hours everywhere. I can see my local one is also recruiting adn mornings are best for me, I can start from 5 any day but need to be somewhere else at 11 , 2 days a week.

5am? you would need to look at delivery most likely
    most of the mail centre work is done by 5am
  • funkygal
    funkygal Posts: 42 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Hi,
    Sorry for any confusion but when I meant I picked those hours, they were the only option there was for part time hours. I don't think you can make up your hours. There was full time 1:30pm till 9:30pm and night shift and morning shift hours can't remember the hours. There were also two start dates to pick from, I think one in nov and one in dec.
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    5am? you would need to look at delivery most likely
    most of the mail centre work is done by 5am

Hi thanks for this, I have been to our local delivery office at 9 this mornign to collect a parcel and there were delivery staff just taking the trolleys out then, we dont usually get our mail till say 2pm.

I wouldnt be able to do these hours on 2 of the days per week as I have to be somewhere else at 11 and its half an hour from the sorting/delivery office...

Is there any roles for me would you think given these times, or no?

thanks in advance
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • custardy
    Options
    Hi thanks for this, I have been to our local delivery office at 9 this mornign to collect a parcel and there were delivery staff just taking the trolleys out then, we dont usually get our mail till say 2pm.

I wouldnt be able to do these hours on 2 of the days per week as I have to be somewhere else at 11 and its half an hour from the sorting/delivery office...

Is there any roles for me would you think given these times, or no?

thanks in advance

not in delivery i wouldnt think
    you can ask, but RM arent interested in employing staff for the 'indoor work' and you arent going ot get much outdoor work done in that time
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure