MSE_Jenny Posts: 1,312 MSE Staff
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 23 September 2010 at 6:16PM in Cutting tax
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

Comments

• Butti
    Butti Posts: 5,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I did council tax revaluations as my first job after university (Okay, okay don't shoot me).
    Mr Pickles must have had a different experience to me as I don't remember 'barging' into people's homes. Usually I was invited in, occasionally I was offered a cup of tea. Only once I had to stand in a tribunal and say I couldn't assess a person's house because she wouldn't let me over the doorstep.

I think I revalued down about 70% of the properties, about 30% stayed the same and 1 property went up into the top band. They didn't want to get caught out at a later date - just think what they would have saved.

B
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. DEBT FREE APRIL 2021.
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'
    48% off mortgage

'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
  • To be honest for once I agree with the Conservatives (shudders). The whole approach to council funding needs to be looked at, but now is not the time to do so.

The current system is daft, but if a revamp means people at the bottom paying more leaving it for a while is a reasonable position.
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • Millions have tried our council tax rebanding system, found their band is too high, but been wrongly told they can't appeal because they moved into the property more than six months before.
    Really? Millions!?
  • The people who will benefit from this delay are those where the value of their property has increased more than the average - possible because they have improved it, not just because they have got lucky with the "location location location" lottery.

The people at the bottom of the pile, whose ex council flat has increased in value less than the average, would have benefited from a revaluation (revaluation is in theory "revenue neutral").
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure