PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

a few quick questions?

I find the potatoes I buy never last that long and was wondering if I made double mashed potato when I need it, would it freeze ok?

does anyone shop at iceland online? I'm thinking of trying this as the delivery is free and I have vouchers. my question is what are the sell by dates like on the things you buy? I always find asda really poor for sell by dates and have to dig to the back of the shelves!

Is queenie about? any chance of your recipe for sausage risotto? I replied on the cheap meals thread not sure if you've seen it yet though.

I'm planning on making quiche with cottage cheese for lunches at work next week, but am unsure how long it will keep in the fridge, can anyone advise?
Total Debt (27th Nov 08) £16,707.03 Now £5,102.72
Debt Free Date [strike]Nov 2012[/strike] August 2011

Comments

• Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Sorry, not really directly answering your question. I have found that potatoes keep better if you can keep them cool. I used to keep them in the utility room but now my washer is in there they don't last as long. There is a really old thread somewhere (if it is still on here) about keeping them in soil, apparently they last much longer this way.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • Howells
    Howells Posts: 65 Forumite
    crazyhazy wrote:
    I find the potatoes I buy never last that long and was wondering if I made double mashed potato when I need it, would it freeze ok?

Oh yes! Use an ice cream scoop to scoop the mash onto a plate, then freeze. Once frozen you can put all the scoops together into a bag so that it takes less space. To heat up cook them in the oven and they have a nice slightly crispy coating.

Tasty:)
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    If you buy your potatoes with the mud still on,they will last longer.
    Transfer any potatoes you buy in plastic,into paper sacks.
    You can freeze quiche so you could seperate your quiches into each days worth and just take it out the night before you need it.
    Or did you mean how long does the cottage cheese last?
  • Howells wrote:
    Oh yes! Use an ice cream scoop to scoop the mash onto a plate, then freeze. Once frozen you can put all the scoops together into a bag so that it takes less space. To heat up cook them in the oven and they have a nice slightly crispy coating.

Tasty:)

What a great first post and such a good idea, I'm going to try this one soon!
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    I keep my potatoes in the sack (brown paper bag) in the shed. It needs to be dark and they need to have some air so I roll down the top of the sack a little bit. They last for months then.
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure