🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Speed cameras en route to Derry and in Derry

Options
Hello

I have recently started studying in Magee in Derry and am travelling up and down from Belfast every day. I am just wondering if anyone knows anywhere there are fixed cameras. I would hate to get caught, as I am a careful driver, but I know it would be easy to go 1 or 2 miles over quite easily!

I am trying to make this drive is as stress-free as possible! ::(

I have seen the mobile sopeed cameras every day about 30 miles from Derry though!

Many thanks

Fiona

Ps.

Do you always get 'done'/fines if you're say 2 or 3 miles over the limit?

Comments

• booklover
    booklover Posts: 897 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sorry about my spelling! :embarasse

Fiona
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fiona, AFAIK there on no fixed cameras on your route, but obviously there will be mobile ones, as you have seen. Normally they will allow a tolerance level of 10% ie 55mph in a 50 zone.
  • peterdoherty
    Options
    NO fixed cameras on the main belfast - derry road. If there are any mobile cameras in operation they are usually at the lay by on the top of the glenshane as you are about to descend on way to belfast or hidden at the side of the road between derry and dungiven
  • booklover
    Options
    :hello:

Thanks a lot NAR and peterdoherty for all your very helpful advice.

Fiona
  • declanmcc
    declanmcc Posts: 412 Forumite
    Options
    Fiona,

Dependant on what route you take to Magee when you arrive in Derry - or on your way home again - there are a number of points where the police regularly do speed checks. One such point is Culmore Road on the way to Foyle Bridge. I've noticed speed checks here on many several occasions. It's a 30 MPH zone until the bridge. I work at Magee Campus and would use the Craigavon Bridge route to travel back to the Altnagelvin hospital area (which would be on your way to Belfast). Much shorter and quicker.

Another regular speed checkpoint is just past Sainsburys (Strand Road) and also just opposite one of the entrances to Magee Campus on Strand Road.
  • booklover
    Options
    THanks so much Declan for the above info :T Much appreciated and will try to remember it.

I think I'm getting used to the drive now but its still quite tiring, especially as I'm not used to driving more than about 30 mins at a time.

I see you work in Magee so you never know I might bump into you sometime :smiley:

Fiona
  • Andrew_G
    Andrew_G Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure if this helps?
    http://www.speedcameramap.co.uk/
  • Robothell
    Robothell Posts: 494 Forumite
    Options
    Keep an eye on the motorway bridges along the M2/M22 on the way to and from Belfast. The traffic branch like to sit at the very edge of these and point the mobile cameras over the lanes of the road and will pull you over further up the road. Another point to bear in mind folks. The vast majority of traffic police in the North West come from a depot towards Limavady so there tends to be more speed traps along the Waterside and towards Drumahoe, simply because it's less distance to travel.

They mostly should allow you a little bit of lee-way (ie 10% of your speed) apparently to allow for speedometer error. That's of course if you assume your speedometer is exactly accurate to begin with.......

For the fixed speed cameras, does anyone else remember a report on the news a few months back that speed cameras on motorways were being recalibrated to trigger at 80mph in the UK?
    Life in this world is, as it were, a sojourn in a cave. What can we know of reality? For all we can see of the true nature of existence is, shall we say, no more than bewildering and amusing shadows cast upon the inner wall of the cave by the unseen blinding light of absolute truth, from which we may or may not deduce some glimmer of veracity, and we as troglodyte seekers of wisdom can only lift our voices to the unseen and say humbly "Go on, do deformed rabbit again.....it's my favourite". © Terry Pratchett in "Small Gods"

Founder member of the Barry Scott Appreciation Society
  • arkonite_babe
    Options
    Robothell wrote:
    For the fixed speed cameras, does anyone else remember a report on the news a few months back that speed cameras on motorways were being recalibrated to trigger at 80mph in the UK?

Haven't heard that one. Now one thing I did notice on Friday was that there appears to be cameras going up on the Newtownards Rd, just before Ballybeen. It looks as if they might be SPECS one like the main road into Newry. Anyone else noticed this??
  • Robothell
    Robothell Posts: 494 Forumite
    Options
    Haven't heard that one. Now one thing I did notice on Friday was that there appears to be cameras going up on the Newtownards Rd, just before Ballybeen. It looks as if they might be SPECS one like the main road into Newry. Anyone else noticed this??

Have been looking to see if I could find any info online to support my claim above without any luck. Just seem to remember people being interviewed on some breakfast TV program at motorway filling stations giving off cos the cameras would trigger at 80mph. Apparently 10mph above the legal limit isn't fast enough for them!

The only thing I can find remotely similar is calls from the AA to raise the motorway limit to 80mph, maybe that's what I saw and just heard it wrong.
    Life in this world is, as it were, a sojourn in a cave. What can we know of reality? For all we can see of the true nature of existence is, shall we say, no more than bewildering and amusing shadows cast upon the inner wall of the cave by the unseen blinding light of absolute truth, from which we may or may not deduce some glimmer of veracity, and we as troglodyte seekers of wisdom can only lift our voices to the unseen and say humbly "Go on, do deformed rabbit again.....it's my favourite". © Terry Pratchett in "Small Gods"

Founder member of the Barry Scott Appreciation Society
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family