'The Occupier' - on a bill?

bugbod
bugbod Posts: 118 Forumite
We switched supplier about 2 months ago. Today we got a bill from Scottish Power (previous supplier). The bill is a reminder. No original was ever received, we have paid their 'final' supply bills and it's addressed to 'The Occupier'.
I will phone them (if I can ever get through) and find out what it's all about but I always thought that an account without a name was not legally recognised. Is this the case?

Comments

• This is not the case. Anyone with beneficial use of gas or electricity can be deemed to be responsible for such use. This is as defined in the Gas Act, though I am not too sure how this is actually defined for electricity.

I would check that your change of supplier has actually been completed as it sounds like they have performed a change of tenancy, ie on their records you have been 'moved out' and a new account created for the new 'Occupier' - rather than closing your account to move you to another supplier.

It is most likely a clerical error at the old suppliers end and a new account has been created by mistake.

LBM
    September 2006

Yorkshire loan: £4164 >>> £0
    Amazon CC: £320 >>> £1700 (oops)
    HSBC OD: £1300 >>> £200

Total £5784 >>> £1900 21/05/2006

• bugbod
    bugbod Posts: 118 Forumite
    Thanks. Your theory makes sense. I suppose it is possible that I did get the first one and binned it unopened because of 'The Occupier'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure