Seeing an IFA: What documents?

I've made an appointment with an IFA to sort out OH's pensions (which are a mess) and get mine set up.

I've got a list of all our assets and liabilities (property, ISAs, savings, shares).
my P60's and OH's tax statements for the last 2 years (neither varies much)
OH's most recent pension statements, (2 from January, 2 from June)

Is there anything else I need to take? Is it worth getting transfer statements from the 4 pension companies in advance, or will the IFA need to ask them for up to date statements anyway?

Paying hourly, not commision, so the more leg work I can do in advance the better!
When I had my loft converted back into a loft, the neighbours came around and scoffed, and called me retro.

Comments

• If you haven't seen the IFA before it might be an idea to take name and address ID with you in the form of driving licence/passport and recent utility bill or bank statements.
  • EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Is there anything else I need to take? Is it worth getting transfer statements from the 4 pension companies in advance, or will the IFA need to ask them for up to date statements anyway?

He will, and he will probably ask for various other bits of important info at the same time, so I wouldn't bother if you have reasonably up to date statements on the values, so he has a "ball park' picture of how much pension provisiuon has been made.

Company pension info (if any) and state pension forecasts would also be useful.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • pboae
    pboae Posts: 2,719 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks! I hadn't even thought about ID.

I'll apply for state forecasts too.

I am ridiculously nervous about it. I hate having to get advice on something I feel so ignorant about. :-(
    When I had my loft converted back into a loft, the neighbours came around and scoffed, and called me retro.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,309 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I am ridiculously nervous about it. I hate having to get advice on something I feel so ignorant about. :-(

Dont be. The IFA sitting opposite you, if they are anything like me, cant put shelves up, cannot decorate and is awful in the garden. Everyone is good at different things
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • pboae
    pboae Posts: 2,719 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    :rotfl: Thank you dunstonh, maybe I should take him some carrots and squash to demonstrate my gardening skills and balance things up. :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure