Not to create bad feeling, but why bother..

Options
when it seems it would be easier to just go bankrupt. I've been reading a lot of stories on here about "how do I go bankrupt" and the like. (some not even knowing how to spell it properly)

It seems some people cannot be bothered to even try to pay off their debts (I KNOW this is a minority and some people on her would rather of not have gone bankrupt at any cost)

It just winds me up when I and a lot of other people really do want to pay our debts off but what do we achieve by doing that rather than going bankrupt. Yes we may retain some dregs of a credit record but thats the only advantage.

I'm not intending this as an argument, just I am sitting here wondering why I shouldn't just declare bankrupcy and have it over and done with in perhaps less than 18 months according to general discussion.

Why should I bother to pay my debts when it seems a lot of other people take the easy option (and I know its a minority that abuse it, but it still grates)

Comments

• moozie_2
    moozie_2 Posts: 3,063 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    13000 wrote:
    Why should I bother to pay my debts when it seems a lot of other people take the easy option (and I know its a minority that abuse it, but it still grates)

Your post reads very much like you are competing with the Joneses but not in the usual way :rolleyes:

Some people have no choice but to go bankrupt. Good luck to them. We all make mistakes and sometimes, it's not possible to retrieve ourselves. Not a desirable situation but things happen.

I intend to pay back every penny because I used the money. It's as simple as that. I work hard to make my overpayments but there is no way my pride would let me just turn around and say 'oh sod it, I'm not paying anything back anymore'. It's just inconceivable to me, while I am able to pay things off, to not to. It all comes down to who we are I think.
    Leason learnt :beer:
  • LookingAhead
    Options
    I don't really know what to say as an answer....but I do know what you mean.

Try to remember that it is a minority of people who just don't want to bother to try. A lot of people have no choice.

If it is any comfort, I am a sort of similar level of debt to you (but more!) and I wouldn't dream of going bankrupt.

Upwards & onwards mate.
    xx
    Bank Balance: In the black for the moment.
    Sainsburys Loan: Cleared July 2010
    Credit cards: AMEX Airmiles Card: direct debit set to clear balance monthly
  • sweetpeas_2
    Options
    i know what you mean 13000, it does seem like the "easy answer" for some people. i did myself post a thread on here a few weeks back asking if anybody had info on bankrupcy-but this was only to explore the possibilities. it is for me anyway, a complete last resort. i dont understand very much about bankrupcy so that was the sole intention of my thread.

i personally would rather try to clear our debts by hard work and determination-otherwise it would be the cheats way out and i would feel that i have accomplished NOTHING.

dont think youre trying to start an argument-a bit of debate is good and it makes us really think about our situations.
  • sweetpeas_2
    Options
    maybe if people really are at the end of the road it might be the only option. anyone gone bankrupt? would be intresting to hear from you :)

easy to juddge i guess but difficult to understand unless its happened to you yourself. if people are on this site its usually cos theyre aking a step to sort it out :)
    only same as people on benefits that get loads of help from social. but for the people that work their little sockingtons off (most ppl on this site) we dont get anything free or any help at all. same sort of thing i guess. but again, difficult to judge if youre not going through it yourselves.

x noggin x
  • felixdahousecat_2
    Options
    13000 wrote:
    when it seems it would be easier to just go bankrupt. I've been reading a lot of stories on here about "how do I go bankrupt" and the like. (some not even knowing how to spell it properly)

It seems some people cannot be bothered to even try to pay off their debts (I KNOW this is a minority and some people on her would rather of not have gone bankrupt at any cost)

13000, if you're picking people up on spelling, you might want to check the use of 'of' and 'have' before you post, oh and bankruptcy has a t :rolleyes:
  • Bluelad_2
    Options
    I agree with the original post. Whilst there are a large amount of people here who after reading about their situations I can entirely sympathise with, there sems to be an increase of people who don't really want to make a huge effort.

We live in a 'quick fix for no effort ' society which is a sad thing
  • Californication
    Options
    13000, if you're picking people up on spelling, you might want to check the use of 'of' and 'have' before you post, oh and bankruptcy has a t :rolleyes:

'Of' for 'have' isn't spelling; it's grammar :-)

A
  • LookingAhead
    Options
    Bluelad wrote:
    We live in a 'quick fix for no effort ' society which is a sad thing

Very true. It's sad that this country is going down the road of no-one is really responsible for themselves or their actions anymore in a wide range of matters.

True, banks are irresponsible at times re: lending and there are people who have no other choice but to go bankrupt. But those who just go for the easy option and are able to get away with it really p me off.
    Bank Balance: In the black for the moment.
    Sainsburys Loan: Cleared July 2010
    Credit cards: AMEX Airmiles Card: direct debit set to clear balance monthly
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    on the strict assumption this is a pub discussion with no particular significance then i make the following comments ...if you dont think this is a pub discussion then please don't read what i write

a few year ago Building societies and banks wouldn't give mortgages to women because...well they were women;
    banks and BS routinely and regularly introduce new products with super rates/deals but they soon become market laggards;
    what possible moral value can an introductory offer have other than to tempt people sign up and forget to cancel ;
    no end of deals are too complicated for normal busy people to spot the subtleties that means people dont realise the promised benefits;
    small print everywhere designed by very very clever people to cheat you;
    all the above aren't by back street crooks but by major banks and building societies
    in todays paper a story about a builder trying to sue the HMRC (IR) becaused its incompetence is leading to the builders bankruptcy (spelt correctly) . Judge agreed the HMRC was incompetent and was the cause of the poor builders bankruptcy but said it didn't matter because the HMRC had no duty or care to the tax payer...

now i have a duty of care to my family, my friends, my close associates, those who have done me no harm, to the laws of my country (self interest here but without the laws chaos would result ).
    banks/BS/CC companies having lost the punitive charges argument but are increasing their interst rates by 10 points (e.g. 15% to 25%) ..remind me about the morality of that for people with major debts (now if it applied to new customers only then that would maybe be ok ..)

but bankruptcy is simply a legal device which by and large means the villians suffer a little for their malice. so within the laws of the country take advantage of the the opportunities (while it lasts...doubt if it will)

remember 'a pub discussion' if you got this far

best wish and go bankrupt if it's in your family's best interest
  • Broken_hearted
    Options
    While it is a point that the bankruptsy laws are a lot softer now if you don't own anything and have a rented house to live in, you don't lose out in the long run. Its a lot harder for most people though in reality, they lose their homes, businesses so called friends and part of their self worth.
    People on here have struggled often for years paying 1,000s back but they can't keep it up. Some feel like ending it all because of how bad DCA's and the rest of the world make them feel. Once they have reached the end of the road they have no choice, they can't pay out what they havn't got. Some go bankrupt themselves while others the creditors finaly give up on and do it for them.
    Those in the rest of the world who go bankrupt without making anyn effort to pay debts back, or who go bankrupt multiple times are a different matter.

As for myself I can't go bankrupt, sometimes it makes me cry when other peoples debts are written off and I'll be here for years suffering. I avoid the threads of idiots that make no effort and support those who have no choice. I am lucky to have the things in my life that I have and lucky to be part of this community.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family