edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
4 replies 3.1K views
CLCL Forumite
1.5K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
Hi,

Does anyone know who I need to get in touch with to claim back the VAT on materials for a newly built house?

Thanks

Replies

• Contact HMRC on 0845 0109000 and ask them for a claim pack.

You have 3 months from the date the house is passed to reclaim your VAT. Although I believe you may be able to write to them with a "sob story" if you have gone over this time limit.

Did you have a contractor to build the house and you are only claimig for extras like tiles, lights etc or are you claiming the VAT for the entire build?
    The reason I ask is that there is loads more to fill in if you did not have the house built via a contractor.
  • Franko43Franko43 Forumite
    123 Posts
    I'll be starting to build my new house mid next year and I think I'll go along the route of employing a builder to do it (havn't got the free time). Can I claim money back on the invoices he pays (i.e. blocks, cement etc) along with the ones I will claim back for i.e. tiles, ceramics etc?

Cheers All....
  • CLCL Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Contact HMRC on 0845 0109000 and ask them for a claim pack.

You have 3 months from the date the house is passed to reclaim your VAT. Although I believe you may be able to write to them with a "sob story" if you have gone over this time limit.

Did you have a contractor to build the house and you are only claimig for extras like tiles, lights etc or are you claiming the VAT for the entire build?
    The reason I ask is that there is loads more to fill in if you did not have the house built via a contractor.

Thanks a lot Oompa, It was built by a contractor so it's just the extras

Thanks
  • Franko43 wrote:
    I'll be starting to build my new house mid next year and I think I'll go along the route of employing a builder to do it (havn't got the free time). Can I claim money back on the invoices he pays (i.e. blocks, cement etc) along with the ones I will claim back for i.e. tiles, ceramics etc?

Cheers All....

Franko if it's a new build the builder won't charge you VAT on his work, so you don't have to worry about claiming the VAT back on the blocks, tiles etc.

You would only have to do the same as the OP (and indeed what I did) is proposing.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Virgin Media & O2 launch Volt

Aims to boost mobile data & broadband speeds

MSE News

Cheap pet insurance

Top comparisons & hot deals

MSE Guides