What steps to take now with employers?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Employment, Jobseeking & Training
23 replies 1.5K views
iwanttosave_2iwanttosave_2 Forumite
34.3K Posts
10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi I was wondering if anyone knew what to do with this.

(If its in the wrong place, just shove it in DT or something)

Basically, OH has been with the company for about 2 years, a few months ago he started getting migrains and having to take the occasional day off because he was unfit to work. We went to the doctors and found to have a tumour close to his brain. We informed work of this.

He then about 6 weeks ago was declaired unfit to work because of the tumour and medication he was on, that he could not operate machinary and was given sick notes to take into work.

His work already owed him money, about £1500 before tax from a couple of weeks where he has failed to hand timesheets in (normally they guestimate it and make up the difference with timesheet is handed in) When asked about this, he just kept being told "we will sort it next week" or "We have lost that time sheet, we are looking for it"

They paid him SSP for 2 weeks and then just stopped, no word from his works. We sent a letter into work about 4 weeks ago requesting monies owed to be paid and also enclosed additional timesheets for these weeks, also reminding them that his operation was 2 days ago and that he would be back at work after the recovery time, not heard a thing back.

We have not recived a letter of termination of employment or P45, or anything for that matter. I have tried to contact the CAB but they never answer the phone.

Any ideas about what to do? I have heard about sending a letter of greivence, but I don't have a clue about how to go about it.

Thank you so much for just reading all that, we really need to get this money as we are no way behind on the rent with very little money coming in.
Work like you don't need money,
Love like you've never been hurt,
And dance like no one's watching
Save the cheerleader, save the world!

Replies

• FleagoFleago Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Hi Wanty,

ACAS are the people you need to speak to :) Their helpline number is 08457 47 47 47 and it is open Monday - Friday 08:00 - 18:00, so you'll be able to speak to them today.

Good Luck! :)

Fleago
  • I just wanted to say that it never ceases to amaze me how badly some companies treat their employees.I think your OH had more than enough to worry about without all this,GOOD LUCK sorting it out.
    :) There are two sides to every story.
    I am not a SAINT just a saints supporter(saints RLFC)Grand final winners 2006.World club champions 2007.
  • Debt_Free_ChickDebt_Free_Chick Forumite
    13.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does your OH need to submit sick notes to get more SSP? :confused:

Does he have a Staff Handbook to explain the procedure? Is there a personnel/HR person he can talk to?

:confused:
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • iwanttosave_2iwanttosave_2 Forumite
    34.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does your OH need to submit sick notes to get more SSP? :confused:

Does he have a Staff Handbook to explain the procedure? Is there a personnel/HR person he can talk to?

:confused:

No, he hands in the sick note and they pay the SPP, its all up to date what they should be paying him.

I dont think they have any of the latter, considering its a large company and covers the whole north west, there is only 3 people that are not mechanics and drivers, its mainly one person that deals with everything, which is the owners daughter.
    34.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fleago wrote:
    Hi Wanty,

ACAS are the people you need to speak to :) Their helpline number is 08457 47 47 47 and it is open Monday - Friday 08:00 - 18:00, so you'll be able to speak to them today.

Good Luck! :)

Fleago

From a quick look at the site (and I mean quick) it seems to be for age discrimintion? I take it they cover all aspects of legal rights as well?

Never mind, I think I have found some pages that can help. Thanks Flea
  • FleagoFleago Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    No, they cover all aspects of employment law, Wanty, it's just that the age discrimination law comes into force on Monday, so that's the headline news :)
    If the web pages turn out not to be enough, do give them a ring, because they are very good (and free advice too!)
    34.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Flea, that site helped a lot, and good reference for things to know in the future :)

Does anyone know what to do about the money situation at the moment? We are down nearly £300 a week (or even the £60 we should be getting for SSP) and really struggling.
  • FleagoFleago Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Wanty, this linky seems to suggest HMRC as the people to help with the SSP not being paid. This linky takes you to a page where you can find out contact details for the relevant office for you.

Good luck :)
    34.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheers ears, will have a look now.

I know there is a way to ask for a form off your employer but they wouldnt give it, it took us 6 weeks to get his bloody payslips from them to get HB to cover these weeks he has been off.
  • ohreallyohreally Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It appears there are several issues to deal with,the most pressing being the arrears of pay and secondly the lack of sick pay.The company should have provided a handbook which sets out the framework outlining the grievance procedure.Normally one would write to the first level of appropriate management stating you wish to invoke a grievance then detail the nature of the grievance. They will then have tight timescales in which to investigate and respond.You must ensure they keep to these timescales,i can't stress this strongly enough. If they drag their heels you may find yourself becoming time-barred in terms of going to a tribunal.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals