Should I quit my job?

Options
Hi Guys

After my LB moment last year I took another PT job 20 hours a week. My original PT job is 8 hours and I have a business that I run from home. My family want me to quit one job-the 8 hour one and use the time to concentrate on my business, which has the potential to earn more (£20+ an hour compared to £5.75 for job) and is always the first to suffer when i'm tired or short on time.

The problem is debt makes me feel very insecure, and the business money is very unreliable, I never know from one week to the next how much I will take.

Having the one job and business I will have £500 to make overpayments, I have just done some snowballs and there is only 5 months difference to my DFD, which is better than I thought. 30 months compared to 25.

I have been thinking about this for ages, I did hand my notice in a few weeks ago, really panicked, had a sleepless night and cancelled it the next day :o I've told DH I will decide today and stick to it :eek:

I'm thinking a compromise would be to carry on as I am until xmas and use the extra money to invest in advertising etc, but is that sensible or me making excuses to put it off again? :D

I do realise I am mad as I type this :rotfl:

Comments

• MustStopSpending
    Options
    I think carrying on until Christmas is a good idea then maybe new year, new start? Sound like you're not ready to quit so stick with it until you are I say.

Five months more to clear debt isn't such a big deal if you think you'll be able to focus more on your business, if that is more successful who knows maybe you'll be able to clear it quicker in the long run!

Do whatever you feel is best, don't be pressurised!!
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Zippy :D
    Ooh this is a tough one you are a worrier like me and I had the very same dilemma when I quit work to look after the boys.I had a little ebay business going and whilst the potential to earn money was vast and I did very well with it there is always the worry will I actually sell ANYTHING this week...
    I think the main thing is the time issue,I found my business kept me busy all my waking hours some weeks and I often cursed and said I stopped going out to work to be here more for the kids..:rolleyes:
    I'm not much help am I :rotfl: I do get what you mean about a steady income (even if it's lower rate) but if you are sure your business will succeed maybe its time to bite the bullet and go for it with that.
    Are part time jobs easy to come by where you live so there is an option to go back out to work if need be?
  • Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    zippy,

could you wait until you have a 'buffer' fund of, say, 3 months minimum payments put by?

But remember - there is *always* minimum wage temp work.... just takes a few weeks to find it sometimes...
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • *zippy*
    *zippy* Posts: 2,979 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks Guys

It came to a head this week as I haven't been able to do the housework for weeks, OH organised a cleaner to come once a week as a surprise, he is lovely :love: cost £90 a month, I was so pleased, but got home and couldn't see what she had done :rolleyes: so he's telling her today not to come back. We had a chat and I could see it is mad paying someone when if I gave this up I would have time to do it myself.

Its just that debt frightens me to death, just wish it had a couple of years ago...lol. Yes D&DD I'm worrying about all the what ifs.

I could carry on, but I know really it needs to be done, it just actually being brave and doing it :eek:
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    :grouphug: Aw Zippy I soo know where you're coming from..
    There comes a time when you have to think of yourself and your lovely family first hun.
    I don't regret packing up work for one minute..I actually am better off as I paid a childminder £70 for 4 half days leaving me around £50 in wages..Add to this the high cost of convenience foods as I was always too tired to cook,the cost of redecorating and new carpet as my AS son was let loose unsupervised :eek: When you actually look at it that way the wage packet is not such a big loss:D
  • LJD1_2
    LJD1_2 Posts: 2,173 Forumite
    Options
    I think giving yourself till Christmas is a good idea. If you do have any spare time until then get advertising. Maybe leaving your part time job and relying on the your business will be the incentive you need to make it work. There are the clients out there and they'll come to you if they know about you because you know you're good at what you do. Good luck, it's a hard decision to make.
    January budget
    Nothing left!
  • *zippy*
    Options
    Thanks LJD

How are you getting on?

I have exams in 3 weeks :eek: so going to get through them and then start advertising again. Ordered a new web site package, that was mentioned on the small business forum, mine looks a bit homemade so hoping that helps and need to get professional leaflets done, I have always done my own, but think its time to sort them out.

Been very quiet, but I have a good day booked today.

We need to get that challenge started don't we.

zippy x
  • LJD1_2
    Options
    Have you tried vista print for advertising. I get large sized postcards from them with coupons printed on. They look very professional. If you sign up with them and wait you get it all free and you just pay postage.

I'm definitely up for a business challenge. Get your exams out of the way (good luck with them) and i''ll get my head together a bit more and then we'll go for it.

Chat soon xx
    January budget
    Nothing left!
  • *zippy*
    Options
    I have used vista print quite a bit, I have the postcards, but didn't think to use them for customers, I usually just ask people to put them up in their place of work. What sort of coupons, £5 off that type of thing? good idea will have another look i'm always getting emails off them.

I had the free business cards which were great, but because I couldn't get the right logo for one treatment, I bought some off them, think I should have had glossy, as the free ones were better quality.

Def up for the business challenge from Nov, were going to be very busy, slimming and business challenges. I had also better get over to OS and look at the flylady challenge and clean this house up. I don't need Kim and Aggie :D but I used to be very houseproud and i'm fed up with it.
  • LJD1_2
    Options
    I know what you mean about the house. This week ours has gone to pot what with my new college course, an end of course assignment for the OU, my mum and her debt issues, work and the children. Funnily enough i've not got round to cleaning!

The postcards I get have four coupons along the bottom and at the moment i've got 10% off gift vouchers for christmas in one, free eye lash tint with facial in another, £19.50 for eye lash perm in another and the final one just has the normal price of my reflexology treatment. It's a great way to get existing clients to try other things and i'm also about to send a few out to local businesses. I've found people seem to like it when they can produce a voucher and get money off. I'm going to look at this flylady challenge...not heard of that before and my house is neglected!

Let the challenges begin in November!
    January budget
    Nothing left!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills