debt collection question

Options
just wanted to check something really as have been trying to help my friend get her finances in order. If someone has a debt, and the company to whom it is owed get in touch to recover said debt just over 5 years later, can they still recover? I only ask because back in the days where i was a recovery officer for the council, i recall not being able to recover debts over 5 years old due to some statute law or simerlar. Is this the case or am i thinking of something else? tia hippy. x

Comments

• rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is SIX years before a debt becomes statute barred, and there are conditions.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • file_wizzard
    Options
    just wanted to check something really as have been trying to help my friend get her finances in order. If someone has a debt, and the company to whom it is owed get in touch to recover said debt just over 5 years later, can they still recover? I only ask because back in the days where i was a recovery officer for the council, i recall not being able to recover debts over 5 years old due to some statute law or simerlar. Is this the case or am i thinking of something else? tia hippy. x
    Statute of limitations will apply after 5 years in Scotland, and 6 years in England, however as Rog2 Correctly states there are conditions, and the law is designed to protect people, not assist them in wilful avoidance
    :rolleyes: It’s hard enough remembering my opinions - without remembering my reasons for them :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure