PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

bean ideas please!?

Options
hi

i bought a pack of 'exotic bean mixture' from morrisons, but have no idea what to do with it!

i have put some to soak overnight, and so wondered if anyone had some fairly easy recipies i could try. nothing too spicy, as ds is only 12mths old. the pack contains the following beans:
black eyed beans
alubia beans
red kidney beans
dutch brown beans
butter beans
haricot beans
baby lima beans

any help or ideas would be muchly appriciated- thankyou guys!! :)
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

RIP POOCH 5/09/94 - 17/09/07

Comments

• southernscouser
    Options
    tankgirl1 wrote:
    hi

i bought a pack of 'exotic bean mixture' from morrisons, but have no idea what to do with it!

The question that needs to be asked is; why on earth did you buy them? ;):p :rotfl:
  • tankgirl1
    tankgirl1 Posts: 4,252 Forumite
    Options
    The question that needs to be asked is; why on earth did you buy them? ;):p :rotfl:

:rolleyes: it seemed like a good idea at the time! i was trying to be healthy!!

i am blonde y'know - sometimes i cant help doing daft things! :p
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

• southernscouser
    Options
    tankgirl1 wrote:
    :rolleyes: it seemed like a good idea at the time! i was trying to be healthy!!

i am blonde y'know - sometimes i cant help doing daft things! :p

Blonde/Woman same thing! :rolleyes:

*SS ducks and retreats hastily* :p
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I don;t know about those particular beans, but I often use the tins of mixed beans with tinned toms and herbs/spices to make a quick chilli type thing to go with rice. It's cheap and easy, and would use them up. Also nice as a beany salsa to be a side dish, like instead of a veggie.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • tankgirl1
    Options
    skintchick wrote:
    I don;t know about those particular beans, but I often use the tins of mixed beans with tinned toms and herbs/spices to make a quick chilli type thing to go with rice. It's cheap and easy, and would use them up. Also nice as a beany salsa to be a side dish, like instead of a veggie.

thanks skintchick- that sounds quite nice and easy, which is always good :p, - i might give it a try :j

• skintchick
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    You could be posh and liquidise some of it then add it back it to make it thicker.

I also do this as a soup sometimes - a thick one - and eat it with crusty bread. mmmm.

Just fry a chopped onion in some spices, add the beans, add chopped tinned toms, add herbs, simmer. You can add gravy granules to thicken.

Oh! ANd if you put sausages in it (not cooked) then they cook in the sauce and are soft and yummy! Sausage and bean casserole...yum!
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • tankgirl1
    Options
    skintchick wrote:
    You could be posh and liquidise some of it then add it back it to make it thicker.

I also do this as a soup sometimes - a thick one - and eat it with crusty bread. mmmm.

Just fry a chopped onion in some spices, add the beans, add chopped tinned toms, add herbs, simmer. You can add gravy granules to thicken.

Oh! ANd if you put sausages in it (not cooked) then they cook in the sauce and are soft and yummy! Sausage and bean casserole...yum!

mmm- that sounds yummy :drool:

i think i have some veggie sausages in the freezer, which would do, and theres prob enough beans to make a soup as well! :D

:T

• skintchick
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    It's good winter food - and freezes well too. I keep tins of beans and toms in the cupboard so if I am really skint I know I can make something nutritious to eat.

Make sure you defrost the sausages first, of course! (I know you knew that!)
  • meerkatgirl
    Options
    I'd do a bean bake. Fry an onion and some garlic, stir in some beans, sweetcorn, tinned toms and any herbs you fancy. Let it cook for 10 mins or so. Top with cheese and breadcrumbs and cook until the cheese is melted and the breadcrumbs are brown.

And i'm blonde too!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport