PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Meats

Options
I have been wondering where do most people buy their Meats and wheres the cheapest like for various types of Mince, Chicken etc maybe some Fish?
Ive read lots of threads where ppl say some Supermarkets Basic own makes are horrid so im unsure.

I always look out in my local Co-op for it when its reduced to a quid. I found that if it was usually a 2 for X amount of money, and that they were individually reduced, buying two somehow released them to work out at 20p each. I dont know how but it always happens and make a conscience effort to look out for them. Obviously I dont get these regularly and so wondered where else could I rely on for decent Price & quality.

Mince - usually 500g
Chicken 300g onwards.

Am interested

Comments

• montrose5
    Options
    We've started using a local butcher. You won't get value prices but the meat is top notch and he knows what he's talking about + the meat has been hung properly
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I buy meat and fish from whatever supermarket I'm in.

I have certainly said not to buy Sainsbury's Basic Fish as its nasty but any other is fine.
    Other than that I buy organic chicken. Organic chicken is so much nicer than ordinary. 4 Drumsticks in Tesco's yesterday were about £2.50

Thats about all the meat we eat.
  • Biddyrolo
    Options
    After reading Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstalls books I now buy free range meat and chicken, I find it tastes better and the animal has had a better life, this means that as a family we eat a lot less meat but enjoy it more.
  • Squishy
    Options
    I tend to buy from whatever supermarket I'm in, though am not as keen on morrisons stuff so not so much from there. I find that Asda stuff isn't bad - haven't tried their value brand though. I have found a local factory shop though which has lovely meat so may go there more often from now on.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Hi, definitely the butcher. He's a miserable so-and-so, but knows his joints, will give advice, and will prepare meat to your requirements, for you to collect on a date agreed.

Supermarket meat is horrid. Final straw was "Finest" steak that was the cost of 2 limbs, was tasteless and tough. From the butcher, it's a bit dearer, but was meltingly tender.

Best bit of advice my MIL gave me (and she's given me heaps in her time :D ) is to charm your butcher, and he'll "see you right" :eek: :eek: :eek:

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills