NHS admin bank work, reliable??

Options
Apologies for any mistakes in this, i'm new at this, I normally just read, not post on here!:)
I'm after a bit of advice, here's my situation: I've been working at a local supermarket for 3 years, earlier this year I went through open learning to do ITQ level 2 computer course and passed, in the hope to get admin work, as did a little bit of this years ago. I was hoping to better my prospects & get a career for myself now my children are growing up.
After a couple of failed interviews for admin positions with the local hospital I was asked to join the bank for admin work. Since joing 2 months ago I have had one job, that has lasted the last 6 weeks, unfortunately this came to an end as it was advertised as a permanent post (it wasn't enough hours for me to be a permanent job). Straightaway I already have 3 days a week lined up to start on 22/09, supposedly an on-going thing. I am still applying for any permanent posts I can find, but still failing interviews based on not enough experience (hopefully bank work will give enough experience)
My dilemma is this: I really want to leave my supermarket job, as i've had enough and want to be at home weekends, but bank work is not permanent. Do I take the risk and leave and hope bank work stays on going? Hoping that someone will employ me on a permanent basis sooner or later? Or is it too risky in the current economic climate to give up a guaranteed job?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, particularly if you have experience of NHS bank work.
Thank you, I hope this makes sense, and I havn't waffled on too much!!

Comments

• janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Unfortunately bank work is unreliable. I would hang on for the moment but when you are at work check on the Trust`s website ( break period) to see if there are any jobs advertised.
  • Clowance
    Clowance Posts: 1,843 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Bank work CAN be reliable - I have been in work for three years continually starting as a support sec band 3 and after a bit of experience bank PA at band 4. I made sure I booked myself on training courses for the various systems (nobody else seemed to do this) so I was fully trained. But then it all went wrong - huge budget deficit at my hospital meant a cull of bank staff and a ban on recruiting so no chance of a permanent job either, for the last twelve months. I managed to keep in work for 8 of them by going down a grade and having a good reputation - but am seriously looking elsewhere now, which is a shame as I like it there.
    So I would say find out the budget situation at your place before making a final decision. Or keep the two jobs going for a while together if you can, maybe building some savings for switching to bank? HTH
    At my hospital no bank contracts are advertised, you are just offered them or not by the bank organiser or "bagsied" by the person who is looking for cover, who then requests you by name.
  • LittleVoice
    Options
    I think it's hard to call in the NHS at the moment. There is the need to cut management costs (and that covers more than managers). There is also a recruitment freeze in a lot of areas, and I could see that using bank workers might be a way of dealing with this - work has to be done and is done but they don't build up redundancy payment commitments and so on.

Is it that you want to work in the NHS in particular or is it that you simply want to work in admin, whether that be in the NHS or elsewhere?

There's more to the NHS than hospitals. Have you registered for email alerts with www.jobs.nhs.uk?
  • mujipor
    Options
    Nothing is reliable at the moment really, go for what you think it's best and will make you happy
  • Furny
    Furny Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is an interesting post for me. I'm looking to get back in to work now my DS has started school but the hard part is finding something term time. My friend suggested the bank, so i'll keep reading posts for peoples experience of it.
  • silkyuk9
    silkyuk9 Posts: 2,815 Forumite
    Options
    I would not pack any job in to do bank work. To start with you will get shifts here and there but these shifts will be when full or part ime staff are ill or on holiday's so you could be called in at minutes notice. There is nothing wrong with taking the bank job but tell the employer that you work and may not be able to take shifts at a minutes notice, but you are willing to take shifts on your days off from your other work. If they seem happy with this ring them week after week with what you can do for that week. You need to get your foot in the door and get some shifts in. I don't care what anyone says, getting in is vital to getting a contract. lets face it if you are a good worker and a full time job becomes availalbe who is likely to get it if you apply?? Do not finish a job to do a bank job.
    All the big powers they've silenced me. So much for free speech and choice on this fundamental human right, and outing the liars.
  • silkyuk9
    silkyuk9 Posts: 2,815 Forumite
    Options
    Furny wrote: »
    This is an interesting post for me. I'm looking to get back in to work now my DS has started school but the hard part is finding something term time. My friend suggested the bank, so i'll keep reading posts for peoples experience of it.

The NHS seem to like employing bank staff, the reason is the wage. Work for the NHS and through the agenda for change pay scale you can be lets say band 2 and get over a £1 an hour less than another band 2 worker who has been there for a number of years. Bank work is good if you want to progress to a full or part time post because you will still be on the bottom pay scale until you have worked there for a lot of years, I think it takes something like 8 to 10 years to progress to the top of the scale.
    All the big powers they've silenced me. So much for free speech and choice on this fundamental human right, and outing the liars.
  • Angela1977_2
    Options
    Thanks for all of your replies, its good to get an idea of what others think.
    I have been told by the bank office that this will be ongoing, as this particular department has a majority of its staff from the bank. I have heard good things from other people working there too, like they have done the same job for 2 years, and actually chose to try a different job, and other people doing the same job for months & then going on to work permanently in the same department. I will keep applying for any permanent postions that come up, I must have had about 7 interviews so far! All of the feedback is positive, and they always say its nothing wrong with my interview, just that there's someone with a bit more experience than me! It's so frustrating, the nhs is really where I want to be, I have loved the job i've been doing there already for the past 6 weeks.
    I really don't want to carry on working at the supermarket anymore, I want my weekends back! I have 4 kids & if I stay at the supermarket & do the placement I have been offered for 3 days a week, I will be working 6 days a week, I think this will be a bit too much!
    Such a dilemma!!
  • Angela1977_2
    Options
    Hello all,
    Just wanted to update this thread, with my amazing news.
    I have been offered a permanent position within the hospital, I shall be quitting my other job asap.
    I am amazed! To anyone job seeking, don't give up, I must have had at least 8 interviews for permanent jobs within the hospital, and now I have been offered one!
  • Dumyat
    Dumyat Posts: 2,143 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Well done. I worked on an NHS bank and it lead to permanent job too. Its a good foot in the door, but bank work can be very unreliable. At certain times of the year (school holidays) I could have worked every day, March when the budgets are all spent...dire.
    x x x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport