How to ask council to freeze old council tax?

Options
Until last month, I lived in a rented flat with my boyfriend. Both our names were on the lease. At the time of signing for the lease, we were both employed and could easily afford the rent and council tax (It was a nice flat with stupidly high council tax).

Murphy's Law kicked in, and I was made redundant. We prioritised paying our rent, food and loans. I called the council, who made a note on the account that we would pay what we could when we could. We paid varying amounts from £50 to £100 each month. I tried claiming Council Tax and Housing Benefit, but the landlord refused to send the lease to the council, who would only accept the original copy. Even with our solicitor wading in, the landlord refused and no benefit was ever granted. To add to the misery, I then learned that I'd need radiotherapy and have been in and out of hospital for treatment and all the joyous side effects of being irradiated.

Amazingly, we managed to secure a small mortgage on a place across town and vacated the flat on September 12th. I wrote to the council and told them we had moved. Today, the council have sent a letter saying that they intend to prosecute us for the money they have not received for our previous address. I spoke to them on the phone, and they did not seem interested. They told me to "write it down and mail it", which I've started doing. I would like them to agree to a repayment scheme of minumum £10 a week, and I would like them to freeze the charges they're about to start slapping on the account. No way can I handle debt collectors when I can barely keep a meal down.

Can anyone suggest what I should write in my letter to the council?
© Cuilean 2005. Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Comments

• rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Perhaps it would be better to call in and discuss it face to face - I had a problem, on a non-domestic rates issue, actually received a summons. I went to the Council Office, and not only did they accept an offer of staged payments, I found out that I had been entitled to a 'small business rate relief' which I had not been claiming. Perhaps they can even do something about the fact that your ex landlord refused to send the lease to the council.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • msmicawber
    msmicawber Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Just write to the benefits section at the Council setting out clearly what has happened, and your proposals for repaying the Council Tax at a rate of £10 by (standing order?). They're likely to accept it and cancel the Summons.
    Debt at highest: £6,290.72 (14.2.1999)
    Debt free success date: 14.8.2006 :j
  • cattie1
    cattie1 Posts: 2,063 Forumite
    Options
    just make sure you get everything written down, collect reciepts anything agreed in writing e.t.c, my council have a funny habit of "forgeting" agreements and then sending baillifs round even when you are in credit! luckily i had all reciepts and EVERYTHING in writing so PLEASE make sure you do this,
    official dfw nerd club member no 214
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!;)
    Why is a person that handles your money called a broker?!:confused:
  • msmicawber
    msmicawber Posts: 1,962 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I agree with Cattie - all my dealings with the Council are by letter or e-mail. I've learned my lesson not to trust phone calls or face to face conversations as they don't always make notes or, if they do, the notes don't necessarily reflect what was discussed.
    Debt at highest: £6,290.72 (14.2.1999)
    Debt free success date: 14.8.2006 :j
  • southernscouser
    Options
    I know this isn't much help now but if anything happens in the future then your shoudl prioritise your bills differently. It should be mortgage, council tax, food and utlities. Loans, credit cards, HP all come last! :)

As for your council tax I'll get someone on the case! ;)
  • Up_the_stags
    Options
    Hi, many Councils have a Fair Debt Policy if you are having problems paying debt that you owe.

The link below is an example of one but do a web search for your own council.

http://www.wirral.gov.uk/fn/counciltax/Fair_Debt.htm

If they don't have one ask them why?
  • **purpleprincess**
    Options
    Talie wrote:
    Until last month, I lived in a rented flat with my boyfriend. Both our names were on the lease. At the time of signing for the lease, we were both employed and could easily afford the rent and council tax (It was a nice flat with stupidly high council tax).

Murphy's Law kicked in, and I was made redundant. We prioritised paying our rent, food and loans. I called the council, who made a note on the account that we would pay what we could when we could. We paid varying amounts from £50 to £100 each month. I tried claiming Council Tax and Housing Benefit, but the landlord refused to send the lease to the council, who would only accept the original copy. Even with our solicitor wading in, the landlord refused and no benefit was ever granted. To add to the misery, I then learned that I'd need radiotherapy and have been in and out of hospital for treatment and all the joyous side effects of being irradiated.

Amazingly, we managed to secure a small mortgage on a place across town and vacated the flat on September 12th. I wrote to the council and told them we had moved. Today, the council have sent a letter saying that they intend to prosecute us for the money they have not received for our previous address. I spoke to them on the phone, and they did not seem interested. They told me to "write it down and mail it", which I've started doing. I would like them to agree to a repayment scheme of minumum £10 a week, and I would like them to freeze the charges they're about to start slapping on the account. No way can I handle debt collectors when I can barely keep a meal down.

Can anyone suggest what I should write in my letter to the council?

Hiya

I am a Council Tax officer and in this situation I would ask you to write down all your income, your outgoings, a proposal for repayment and explain your situation eg redundancy, health etc etc. Put all this in a letter and send it in to the Council Tax office.

You probably won't be able to get them to freeze charges, but depending on how far you've let it get you may be able to keep the account with the council as opposed to having it referred to a bailiff company.

If you need any other help PM me and I'll help all I can.
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure