PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS store cupboard basics

Options

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    Options
    B.S is the powdered egg cheaper than shell eggs ? Last time I looked I thought it was about the same price.

BTW who is that on your avatar ? been wondering for ages:)
  • recovering_spendaholic
    Options
    I always have tinned tuna and sardines, tinned beans, tinned soup, milk, bread, eggs, margarine, breakfast cereal, flour, sugar, sweetner and jam.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • Ruby_Pudding
    Options
    I use it in most of my recipes instead of normal egg. I have been experimenting with a wartime menu for the last 2 months so I bought it for that.

Oooh I'd love to see your menu planner for that please BS :D
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oooh I'd love to see your menu planner for that please BS :D
    I'd like to put it on here but after the responses of the last 2 I've done I think I'll decline that one. Thanks for asking anyway.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    thriftlady wrote:
    B.S is the powdered egg cheaper than shell eggs ? Last time I looked I thought it was about the same price.

BTW who is that on your avatar ? been wondering for ages:)
    I don't think it's any cheaper it just keeps longer. I don't use that many eggs so when I buy a box of 6 I find I'm not through them before they have gone out of date. So now I buy powdered egg as it keeps longer.

The person in my avatar is Robert Smith from The Cure. What do you mean you don't know who it is? :naughty: :rolleyes: ;)
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    :hello: Hello BS! Can you tell me how does the taste compare of the dried eggs? Is it very noticable when you used it in your cooking? Do you just use it for cakes?

I have some wartime recipes of my Grans but most of them have ginger in (I guess she liked ginger :rolleyes: )

My 10 storecupboard must haves are:

Flour,
    olive oil,
    rice,
    tinned tomatoes,
    Eggs,
    Milk powder,
    beans,
    sugar,
    soya mince,
    tomato puree,

I would hate not to have in a supply of herbs and spices though!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • Ruby_Pudding
    Options
    I'd like to put it on here but after the responses of the last 2 I've done I think I'll decline that one. Thanks for asking anyway.

I understand although I think that you have had many more positive comments than negative AND if you hadn't have posted your menu planners the fruit cobbler would never have become such an OS classic :D
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    Thanks to all respondents so far. But we've only done half the job, so far! The staples we've identified are:

I'll start off by saying Lidl Olive Oil (2 votes)
    Flour (2 votes)
    Sugar (2 votes)
    Butter (2 votes)
    Herbs and spices, can buy in bulk from Asian stores.
    Worcestershire sauce
    Balsamic vinegar
    salt
    pepper
    potatoes
    vinegar
    tomato ketchup
    Bicarbonate of soda,
    powdered egg or eggs (a particular revelation to me, as I never get through a box of eggs quickly enough)
    Tinned toms (2 votes)
    Onions
    Pasta
    Porridge Oats
    Emergency loaf in freezer
    rice,
    Milk powder,
    beans,
    sugar,
    soya mince,
    tomato puree,
    cocoa powder

I think that's it so far, apologies if I've left anything out.

NOW ON TO STAGE 2. Imagine you are just setting up house and establishing this store cupboard. Where's the cheapest place to buy all these things, and how much (ish) is your store cupboard going to cost you? :D
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • EagerLearner
    Options
    I buy tinned tomatoes from Sommerfield value range - £0.13 a tin AND better than Sainsbury's Basic range (£0.14 a tin and thinner consistency).

Sommerfield have a cheap 'basic flour' in their value range.

Sweetcorn is one of our basics and we but the Sainsburys ones, not Value range but still cheap at around £0.39 and good for tuna/mayo/sweetcorn for wraps or cold pasta for lunches.

Balsamic vinegar, coffee, cocoa powder are all possible to get from Pound Stores.

Sommerfield and Sainsburys have great 'Value' ranges which we have experimented over the last few months and it's saved us a bunch of money.
    MFW #185
    Mortgage slowly being offset! £86,987 /58,742 virtual balance
    Original mortgage free date 2037/ Now Nov 2034 and counting :T
    YNAB lover :D
  • Bunnie1982
    Bunnie1982 Posts: 1,671 Forumite
    Options
    We may be struggling for money for a couple of months so I want to make sure that my cupboards are stocked up with things to make quick and easy recipes.

I know pasta and flour are good choices but what else would you recommend I keep in my store cupboard?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure