We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Drawers

No, not that kind! Bit of a schoolboy's question this, but I'm renting a room in a house which comes with its own furniture. I've been putting my clothes in the chest of drawers, but they've started to smell weird and musty.

Are there any moneysaving things I can put in the drawer to get my old smell back?!! I've tried a lavender sachet, BTW, to no avail!

Thanks!
Overpay!

Comments

  • shell2001
    shell2001 Posts: 1,817 Forumite
    I always put bars of baby soap in with my girls clothes (have done since they were babies. One is now almost 4 and still using the same bars of soap. Not sure if it would cover up the musty smell. Maybe put some bicar in the middle of a small circle of material and tie up with ribbon, and then the lavender sachet.

    :confused:
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    I put my empty perfume bottles in my drawers.

    You can get perfumed draw liners too.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

    ......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Try washing the whole thing - inside and out with a vinegar solution. I had some smelly furniture given to me and that's what I fdid (yers ago too - before I knew about OS :rotfl:)
  • Try a tumble dryer sheet, works wonders for getting smells out, my wedding flowers had a bit of a smell so i left a tumble dryer sheet on top of them and it worked!

    Only thing was by the time we left for wedding, i forgot to take my flowers!:eek: we were running late:o

    Kyle
  • tankgirl1
    tankgirl1 Posts: 4,252 Forumite
    kyle wrote:
    life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a
    well preserved, perfect body- rather we should skid in sideways, martini in one
    hand, chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up, screaming WOO HOO! What a
    ride!

    completely and totally OT :naughty: :whistle: , but what a fab signature!! :D :T
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

    RIP POOCH 5/09/94 - 17/09/07
  • Brilliant - I'll try ALL of those! Thanks very much for your help with this!
    Overpay!
  • So, have to ask - did you take your flowers to the wedding, Kyle, or did you have to use a bunch of broccoli or something??!!
    Overpay!
  • So, have to ask - did you take your flowers to the wedding, Kyle, or did you have to use a bunch of broccoli or something??!!

    :rotfl: we left the flowers in hotel room, completely forgot! no didnt use broccoli:rotfl: was too busy holding down dress and holding my wrap as it was very windy;)

    Kyle
  • So no bouquet to throw!! Still imagining broccoli though.......very OS!
    Overpay!
  • Ha ha, it's nice to know someone else had probs with their wedding dress, I had the ossosite problem, keeping it up!

    It's just as well I have no shame because my boobs were popping out most of the day, I don't know how many times I had a circle of women round me, lifting the dress and bumping it back on( and in), (getting hoisted into the air by your corset feet dangling 4 inches of the ground to ensure the boobs stay put for the next 30 mins wasn't too dignified but it twas the best day ever!xxx
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.