'Danger! Money lessons may get you thumped' blog discussion

Replies

• magpiecottagemagpiecottage
    9.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    beckit wrote: »
    I think money saving lessons are brilliant, wish we had had them in my school. I run a Girl Guide Company and would love to cover money matters however the stuff aimed at teens to download is a little over their age group (they are 10 - 15).

Is there anything on the site that I could use?

Thanks
    Becki

I am not sure doing it directly would keep them interested - the chances with our Scouts would be just about zero!

Try a different approach. Do you take them to camp? If so, get them to plan the menu. Give them a budget and get them to find out prices from the local supermarket. Tell them they have to plan, including an allowance for food, fuel, washing up liquid, loo roll and so on.

They must produce a balanced diet and come in on (or below) budget.

I know it is the wrong time of year at the moment but that gives you plenty of time to plan.
  • I find myself agreeing with the pupil on this one.

With debts of £700m+ Manchester United isn't doing very well in the money-making business is it? :rotfl:
  • davidgmmafandavidgmmafan Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I can see how that was a difficult example for the grasp. I may have mis-understood but I rather got the impression from the news that the head guy (glazier is it) is essentially buying Manchester United with themselves. Ie he's borrowed massively and will be paying the capital and interest off with thier profits...
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • Errata wrote: »
    Of course the correct answer to what they all had in common would have been " You're using their logos without their permission, aren't you. Sir. "

'Fraid not. Educational establishments can use/make copies of materials for teaching purposes, within reasonable limits.
  • jamesdjamesd Forumite
    25.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's still use without their permission. Just not an infringing use. Unless, of course, permission had been obtained when putting the materials together, which isn't impossible.
  • thelawnetthelawnet Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    The boy is not wrong. Football clubs are very often not out to make money. Many rich people buy football clubs as a status symbol, or simply because they love the game + club want them to succeed.

That's why it's so risky to invest in football, because there are too many rich people willing to subsidise it. It's not a business in the usual sense.
  • I think that kind of behaviour warrants a red card and a 2 season ban.
    In my school he would've been dragged to the headmaster's office so fast his head would spin.
  • Eco_MiserEco_Miser Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    thelawnet wrote: »
    The boy is not wrong. Football clubs are very often not out to make money. Many rich people buy football clubs as a status symbol, or simply because they love the game + club want them to succeed.

That's why it's so risky to invest in football, because there are too many rich people willing to subsidise it. It's not a business in the usual sense.
    However, while those rich people may be willing to take a loss in order to support their club (and it really is their club), they still want to minimise that loss by making money from the regular fans. So the clubs are in business to make money, even if that money goes to the players rather than the shareholders.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century

• WobblydebWobblydeb Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I can see how that was a difficult example for the grasp. I may have mis-understood but I rather got the impression from the news that the head guy (glazier is it) is essentially buying Manchester United with themselves. Ie he's borrowed massively and will be paying the capital and interest off with thier profits...
    That is common place for corporate acquisitions. It's called leveraged financing, and the loan from the bank is agreed on the basis of anticipated cash flows.
    I've got a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.
  • ScarlettScarlett Forumite
    315 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    'Fraid not. Educational establishments can use/make copies of materials for teaching purposes, within reasonable limits.

That's not correct. Education establishments cannot make copies of copyright material without permission from the copyright holder, or a licence from the Copyright Licensing Agency.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides