We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Buying a second home
richardfortnam
Posts: 4 Newbie
I currently own a small flat which I let but am renting another property in a different town as my residence. I'm now looking to buy a new home but don't want to sell the flat in the current economic climate.
Q1. Is it an option or possible to release the equity in the flat to help with the deposit on the new home?
Q2. Are there any complications with getting a mortgage when I have an exiting mortgage on the flat which I am letting?
Q3. Are there any significant tax or financial implications which would impact upon me?
Q1. Is it an option or possible to release the equity in the flat to help with the deposit on the new home?
Q2. Are there any complications with getting a mortgage when I have an exiting mortgage on the flat which I am letting?
Q3. Are there any significant tax or financial implications which would impact upon me?
0
Comments
-
q1 .. in english you mean can you get a bigger mortgage on the flat; well it depends upon your LTV ratio and rental income; best to ask your BTL mortgage provider
q2 .. the fact you have a BTL morrgage and rental income will probably be taken into account when assessing affordability
q3. presumably you declare the rental income to HMRC; the amount of interest that can be offset against the rent is limited to that appropriate to the value when first let so may be less that your 'new' mortgage
cgt will be potential chargeable when you sellEU tariff on agricultual product 12.2%
some dairy products 42.1% cloths 11.4%
EU Clinical Trials Directive stops medical advances0 -
Useful and helpful information shared with interesting helpful ideas and nice details.0
-
Thanks Clapton for your info, just wanted to get some background info and see if this was a viable option before contacting my exiting mortgage lender and any brokers.0
-
From a mortgage point of view you may be able to raise the deposit by remortgaging the flat, subject to criteria. Buy to Let mortgages are required to be self financing ie the rent is sufficient to repay the mortgage, plus a % further. 125% of the mortgage payment is generally the required figure.
For a residential mortgage application the Buy to Let will generally be ignored for affordability purposes as it is a self financing product.
What do you owe on current mortgage? What is the value? What is the rent per month?I am a Mortgage AdviserYou should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.0 -
Thanks GMS useful information. I don't really want to publish any specific figures here but safe to say that at present my rental income covers repayment of the mortgage on the flat.0
-
If the rent would cover the proposed new mortgage by the same percentage then you may be able to raise funds.
Your broker will be able to give you full illustrations etc.
Good luckI am a Mortgage AdviserYou should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.0 -
You need to declare your Rental income and expenditure to HMRC, direct.gov have details or what is claimable for tax purposes. Any profit is taxable, losses can be carried forward.richardfortnam wrote: »I currently own a small flat which I let but am renting another property in a different town as my residence. I'm now looking to buy a new home but don't want to sell the flat in the current economic climate.
Q1. Is it an option or possible to release the equity in the flat to help with the deposit on the new home?
Depends on lenders critera and your current LTV.
If you currently have permission to let on a residental mortgage then you will need to change this to a BTL which often only offer 60-70% of current market value and will have other critera to meet.
You maybe able to port the current residental mortgage if you are in a fixed rate or just wish to keep .
Q2. Are there any complications with getting a mortgage when I have an exiting mortgage on the flat which I am letting?
If you currently have a residental mortgage then yes, see Q1
Q3. Are there any significant tax or financial implications which would impact upon me?
(Rental of another property is not generally a claimable expense).
Financial implications would be tenants not paying, repairs on both properties being your responsilbilty.
Also if you sell the flat and have not lived in it for 3 years then CGT will be payable on the profit - ie sell price less cost price less capital expenidure (latter is unlikely in a flat).
You would benefit seeing a whole of the market broker to see what sort of info they need and get an idea of what products are on the market so you can work out costs.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards