We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
First-time mortgage: advantages to being an existing bank customer?
annaps
Posts: 13 Forumite
Hello,
I'm sure someone must have asked this before, but I can't find the answer by searching, so apologies if this is a duplicate question!
Do banks offer you a better deal on a mortgage if you happen to bank with them already?
I wouldn't expect them to offer you a wildly better rate, but do they ever throw in a few extras, or take into account the fact that you've banked with them for years?
I'm likely to be a first-time buyer in a year or two. I was just about to close a Natwest current account that I have. But I've banked there for 15 years, and I thought maybe it's worth keeping it open - just in case Natwest might look a bit more favourably on a mortgage application than a bank that knows nothing about me.
What do people think?
thanks!
Anna
I'm sure someone must have asked this before, but I can't find the answer by searching, so apologies if this is a duplicate question!
Do banks offer you a better deal on a mortgage if you happen to bank with them already?
I wouldn't expect them to offer you a wildly better rate, but do they ever throw in a few extras, or take into account the fact that you've banked with them for years?
I'm likely to be a first-time buyer in a year or two. I was just about to close a Natwest current account that I have. But I've banked there for 15 years, and I thought maybe it's worth keeping it open - just in case Natwest might look a bit more favourably on a mortgage application than a bank that knows nothing about me.
What do people think?
thanks!
Anna
0
Comments
-
Believe that Barclays have recently started offering preferential rates to existing customers.
So worth asking . Banks are becoming more interested in retaining existing customers than winning new business.0 -
Halifax also offer preferential rates to Current Account customers.0
-
I personally think Banks should reward existing customers, but unfortunately not many banks do reward or can afford to reward customers :-(0
-
Banks and Building Societys are definitely offering better rates to existing customers. We are in the process of switching our current account from Halifax to Britannia in order to take advantage of one of their "exclusive" mortgage deals for existing customers.
I wouldn't switch until you need to though. We've generally found in the last few years that you get very little in return for loyalty and have moved accounts as and where the best rates are!Mortgage free wannabeMortgage (November 2010) £135,850Mortgage (November 2020) £4,7840 -
I think they are less likely to turn you down if you are existing as the have access to all your transaction history.:exclamatiScams - Shared Equity, Shared Ownership, Newbuy, Firstbuy and Help to Buy.
Save our Savers
0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards