We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Problems with Abbey/Santander??

Hi there

My mortgage application is with Abbey and I originally applied for the mortgage several weeks back, via a broker, to buy a different house to the one I now want to purchase. That application went though at lightning speed and the valuation was instructed and carried out within a week of the initial application going in.

I obviously now want to buy a different property and have completed Abbey's 'Property Substitution' form. I sent this in, by scanned return, nearly two weeks ago, and my mortgage manager has chased Abbey every working day since to see if anyone has looked at it - but nothing so far. He is being given the run-around by various admin people at Abbey who keep telling him it will be looked at 'in the morning' or 'later today' and to ring back. Apparently it was given to a manager to look at yesterday, but still nothing has been done.

Is this normal? I know Abbey used to have terrible customer services, but my Broker has had no issues now for several months and was happy to recommend them. I am beginning to regret not pushing for a different lender. Am I just being unreasonable?

Comments

  • GMS
    GMS Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Your broker should be chasing after it not you. Give the broker a nudge along
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • GMS wrote: »
    Your broker should be chasing after it not you. Give the broker a nudge along

    He is - well, the mortgage manager who took over after the broker is. He's calling twice a day and being fobbed off. The brokerage business relations manager is also now involved and still nada! I am chasing the mortgage manager but haven't spoken with Abbey yet (although am tempted!)
  • Abbey are a little... challenging, shall we say. They have been scrutinizing cases more than usual recently and conducting spot check audits.
    I am an Insurance & Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Well apparently the application is now with the underwriters. Mortgage Manager still seems confident we will be given a valuation date by Tuesday next week - grrr.
  • shimano
    shimano Posts: 157 Forumite
    My Abbey case was scrutinised heavily on application a couple of weeks ago, it went from the application going through well, then something being flagged up on my credit record (despite it being squeaky clean), waiting a weekend sweating it out on what it could be, then they called me back saying it was nothing to worry about. Probably computers. It went between the call centre and underwriters a few times then they were happy. Docs sent out stating funds pre booked, now valuation taking place, which they sorted out rapidly

    Gotta say apart from the little glitch at the start, the speed in which they are processing is pretty impressive.
  • GMS
    GMS Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    He is - well, the mortgage manager who took over after the broker is. He's calling twice a day and being fobbed off. The brokerage business relations manager is also now involved and still nada! I am chasing the mortgage manager but haven't spoken with Abbey yet (although am tempted!)

    You should not speak to Abbey. I would not have been fobbed off for this long.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • GMS wrote: »
    You should not speak to Abbey. I would not have been fobbed off for this long.

    OK - will let brokerage deal with it and not speak to Abbey. Maybe I should go back to the original broker who organised the deal in the first place? He seemed to have more sway than this new 'admin' type person who is dealing with everything now (same company).
  • shimano wrote: »
    My Abbey case was scrutinised heavily on application a couple of weeks ago, it went from the application going through well, then something being flagged up on my credit record (despite it being squeaky clean), waiting a weekend sweating it out on what it could be, then they called me back saying it was nothing to worry about. Probably computers. It went between the call centre and underwriters a few times then they were happy. Docs sent out stating funds pre booked, now valuation taking place, which they sorted out rapidly

    Gotta say apart from the little glitch at the start, the speed in which they are processing is pretty impressive.

    See that's what I can't understand. They were SOOO fast with the initial application. I had a full offer in the post within a week! This change to a different property seems to have completely foxed them! Surely, as I've already passed the credit check and they must have done a 'maximum amount lendable' calculation the first time around, this should be just a matter of a few quick amendments!?
  • GMS
    GMS Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    A change of property should be pretty straightforward. Inform the broker as to what is happening. I recently had a case with Abbey where they draggd their heels for no apparent reason and got senior managers involved. Bit of toing and froing via email and it was sorted.
    Pressure needed from the brokerage whether the broker or admin staff. Brokers are allocated account managers, some good, some awful so at the very least they should have been contacted to resolve the issue.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.