We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Should I cash in my endowment policy?
jackieblack
Posts: 10,786 Forumite
I've got a small endowment policy, which has 4 years left to run.
The bonuses paid for the last few years have been rubbish, 0.25% -0.5%, and I accepted long ago that it'll probably only pay out about half of the amount it was 'supposed' to at the end of the term.
I undertand that it used to be that the final bonuses paid made quite a difference to the the final payout, but I assume that's not so true now.
I'm trying to work out whether its worth carrying it on for the remaining 4 years, and paying another £1100+ in premiums, or cashing it in now.
The 'minimum we will pay on maturity' figure on the statement only sems to increase by about £50 each year, but I don't know if this is the figure I should be judging this on (?)
Any advice, please?
(The policy is with Standard Life, in case that makes any difference)
The bonuses paid for the last few years have been rubbish, 0.25% -0.5%, and I accepted long ago that it'll probably only pay out about half of the amount it was 'supposed' to at the end of the term.
I undertand that it used to be that the final bonuses paid made quite a difference to the the final payout, but I assume that's not so true now.
I'm trying to work out whether its worth carrying it on for the remaining 4 years, and paying another £1100+ in premiums, or cashing it in now.
The 'minimum we will pay on maturity' figure on the statement only sems to increase by about £50 each year, but I don't know if this is the figure I should be judging this on (?)
Any advice, please?
(The policy is with Standard Life, in case that makes any difference)
Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
0
Comments
-
Can anyone more knowledgable than I offer any advice please?Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the endQuidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur0
-
I undertand that it used to be that the final bonuses paid made quite a difference to the the final payout, but I assume that's not so true now.
That hasnt changed with regards to conventional with profits plans. However, final bonuses are subject to investment returns.The policy is with Standard Life, in case that makes any difference
It does as it indicates the quality of the with profits funds (its not the best, not the worst). And it also means you will have a mortgage endowment promise value which is added on maturity. That is no paid if you surrender. That figure is vital. What is it?I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards