We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Mortgages plc/kensington takeover

We had a letter from mortgages plc , yesterday
Saying they had been taken over by Kensington mortgages, we currently have a good deal with plc, and hoped when we had poss done 3 years with them.with no
Problems we could go back to a normal lender.that would be January 2011.
I know Kensington don't have a great reputation?
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

  • luckyfool
    luckyfool Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    What does it matter. Pay your mortgage on time and at the end of the deal you may or may not be able to remortgage to a normal lender. Whether your lender is owned by Kensington or Mortgages PLC at that point makes absolutely no difference. As long as you pay your mortgage on time then you will be fine.
  • Silvafox
    Silvafox Posts: 321 Forumite
    Kensington, like most lenders, are fine if you're paying on time etc. I was with them years ago and had no real problems if I remember correctly. My mortgage lender was taken over about 2 years ago too and it hasn't altered anything really as it's not like you speak to them regularly anyway.

    As the other person says - if you carry on paying on time, it won't matter who owns your loan and you may or may not be able to remortgage to a prime lender. But bear in mind that in this climate you'll be looking at about 20% deposit/equity realistically to remortgage at the minimum.

    In fact, my partner got a mortgage recently and her credit is as good as it gets and even she had to stump up 20% to enable her to go with a high street bank.
    PMA - Positive Mental Attitude

    It works for me - you try it!
  • Thanks for your depots.we had 2 year fixed with
    Mplc at 8.5 but the fix ended in jan it then became 3%
    Above base rate so brilliant at moment.
    Do Kensington have to stick to original agreement?
    Thanks
  • Sorry about spelling!
    We have at least 60%equity.
  • luckyfool
    luckyfool Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    Yes, they will have to adhere to the original terms of the mortgage in terms of interest rate (if it was set out at a margin above base rate).

    As long as your credit history has improved it should also be possible to remortgage to a high street lender as well.
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    What problems did you have in the past?

    When were they first registered? What were the amounts?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Well I went bankrupt jan 2006, we both had bad credit history.august 2007,I was discharged early.
    We had no problems with previous mortgages, my mum helped us get back on the property ladder, as we had such a miserable time.
    The mortgage started in jan 2007,the house value is 300k and mortgage is 142k .But it is only for 10 years, which worries me, I would like longer security.
  • luckyfool
    luckyfool Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    Given that you are discharged 3 full years (and you have such a large deposit) it might be possible to get a high street lender to take a look. Otherwise you can always sit tight for another year or two on your current very decent variable rate.
  • herbiesjp
    herbiesjp Posts: 8,499 Forumite
    Alexg wrote: »
    Well I went bankrupt jan 2006, we both had bad credit history.august 2007,I was discharged early.
    We had no problems with previous mortgages, my mum helped us get back on the property ladder, as we had such a miserable time.
    The mortgage started in jan 2007,the house value is 300k and mortgage is 142k .But it is only for 10 years, which worries me, I would like longer security.


    You may have some options open to you.

    The LTV is in your favour.

    It will all depend on your current circumstances as to what mortgage amounts/rates will be offered to you.

    Grab up to date copies of your credit files, discharge papers, and current deal paperwork and discuss with a good whole of market adviser.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • GMS
    GMS Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Alexg wrote: »
    Well I went bankrupt jan 2006, we both had bad credit history.august 2007,I was discharged early.
    We had no problems with previous mortgages, my mum helped us get back on the property ladder, as we had such a miserable time.
    The mortgage started in jan 2007,the house value is 300k and mortgage is 142k .But it is only for 10 years, which worries me, I would like longer security.

    Were you discharged from your bankruptcy or was it annulled? I know at that time Mplc were doing a bankruptcy annullment product through a seperate lender of theirs called Spectrum. If you were annulled then all trace of the bankruptcy has gone.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.